Chapter 6: Night at the Institute

The sun was just beginning to peek over Inkopolis City. A few Jellies were beginning their morning in the Square. Sheldon entered his shop and began preparing to open for the day. Autumn was sound asleep in her bed, snoring peacefully. Derek was also asleep in his bed, the sunlight calmly starting to filter in through his window. Jewel was on her phone, her tentacles gently glowing to give her some light. Suddenly, it happened. The building began shaking. The streetlights outside flickered. The windows rattled. The TV fell off of its stand with a thud. Jewel looked around in panic as Autumn and Derek stirred. Derek's small shark plushie on a keychain wobbled off of his nightstand and thumped onto the floor.

    "Ah! Sushi!" he exclaimed, reaching down and picking up the shark, examining it to see if it was still okay.

    "What's happening?" Autumn yelled from her room.

    "I think we're having an earthquake!" Jewel hollered back, a note of panic in her voice. "Take cover!" The Inklings scrambled and hid under their beds, covering their heads with their hands and tentacles. The shaking continued for several moments before gradually easing to a halt. The Inklings crawled out from under their beds and met in the living room with uneasy feelings in the pit of their stomachs.

    "Is it over?" Autumn asked looking around warily. Jewel examined the room carefully.

    "I think so," she said.

    "Our power appears to be out though," Derek said from the kitchen as he opened the fridge. "I imagine it won't be back for a while."

    "That's fine, we can just raid Sheldon's fridge," Jewel said with a shrug. Derek closed the fridge with a nod and a grin. Sheldon's shop fridge usually held great food within it. The three Inklings set the TV back up; it seemed to be unharmed from falling over.

    "Well, I guess we're all up for the day now," Autumn said. "May as well go to Sheldon's for our job as well as for breakfast."

    "It has been exactly a week since a body was found gruesomely stabbed to death in Splatsville," said the reporter Jellyfish on the big news screen in the Square as Sheldon propped open his shop door, ready for business. "Locals fear this will be another unsolved case as investigations have turned up no leads on the identification of the victim-"

    "It was Maya," Sheldon said under his breath at the reporter.

    "-but authorities believe there is no further danger to the public, and a curfew that was put on the whole city has since been lifted at midnight this morning. Back to you, Pearl and Marina!"

    "Well, how about them tremors this morning, Marina?"

    "Yes, it appears Inkopolis has been hit by another earthquake not too long ago this morning, making it the fifth one this year. And while it appears to have not been that big or destructive, this is the most shaking we've felt during one so far!"

    "We'll be back with a damage update for you later. We are receiving reports that all battles will be canceled for today to assess for damage to Turf War areas. Now we take a look at international news as..." The news droned on in the background as Jewel, Autumn, and Derek came around the corner and into the shop.

    "Hey kids," Sheldon greeted them as he swept dirt out of the front door. "Battles are canceled today."

    "Yeah, we just heard," Jewel said, looking back at the big screen. "Since that's the case, we were going to teach Autumn a few more things in the range in the back. Is that okay with you?"

    "I don't see why not if they're not even going to allow recons for stages," Sheldon replied with a shrug.

    "Also we're raiding your fridge," Derek said as he and the girls rushed inside before Sheldon could protest.