Chapter 8: Artificial Unintelligence

SEVEN OUT OF EIGHT WEEKS LEFT FOR MONICA TO CAPTURE THE AGENTS

Quick, rapid footsteps reverberated down New Octopolis City's army headquarters as Phoenix made his way down the busy hall. Genetically modified Octolings pushed others out of his way or stepped aside for him. When you were not only Number 2 but The Alpha's brother, you tended to get whatever you wanted. Phoenix pushed open a door on one side of the hall, where he knew his sister Skylar Rose was in currently.

"Sister, I have- EEEEP!!" shrieked Phoenix at the scene inside. Ink splatters covered everything, including Skylar Rose herself as she turned her head to look at him. She was wearing her oxygen mask that she needed to wear at times. The mask resembled a set of Air Gills DX, a popular headgear in Splatsville. Every time Skylar Rose took a breath while wearing this mask, her hair, eyebrows, presumably the inside of her mouth, and various light blue scars over her body glowed a tiny bit. And going by how fast her breaths were and how bright she was glowing, something had gone wrong and Phoenix had walked in at the worst moment possible. Skylar Rose took off the oxygen mask and leaned on an ink-covered table with one hand and put her other hand on her hip, an annoyed expression painting her face.

"What, uh, happened here?" ventured Phoenix as he shifted uncomfortably, unable to look his sister in the eyes (eye?) but also not wanting to look anywhere else in the ink-splattered room.

"Ink transfusion gone wrong," Skylar Rose replied casually. "The artificial's ink sac didn't want to take the magenta ink."

"Ah." Phoenix fixed his gaze on a spot on the table that didn't have much ink on it. "Was it just an ink sac or do we need to replace a whole artificial?"

"Just the sac," replied Skylar Rose, calmly wiping her armor off with her hands. "We're going to need a replacement one."

"Shall I alert Dylan to get to work engineering a new one?"

"No need," Skylar Rose said, touching her silver toothpick over her ear. The violet Octoling who had been in Dylan's squadron prior mindlessly shuffled by the doorway behind Phoenix. "He'll be notified shortly." Just then, Daisy walked by, poking her head in.

"Hey, guys, what's AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH?!?!" she screamed at the sight of the mess.

"Transfusion gone wrong," Phoenix briefly summarized. Daisy's blue eyes blankly examined the mess as she nodded. Skylar Rose sighed in frustration.

"Ugh, now I'll have to wait for Dylan to create an artificial ink sac," she moaned. "In the meantime, I have...other matters to see to. Daisy, you and Liam go take some Inklings from the prison to the arena. I don't know, maybe also take Monica with you as well or something, maybe she'll get an idea for dealing with the agents. Do whatever you want with the Inklings, as long as they don't die. Nick, go see if Dylan at least has a metal spine or something ready or if that tall purple freak continues to disappoint me." The two orange Octolings gave a brief nod and left, and Skylar Rose put her oxygen mask back on, taking a deep breath and glowing brightly before exhaling.

Sheldon looked around to make sure he was alone and rummaged through his secret snack drawer under the front counter. He quietly pulled out a small plastic box and popped the top open. The top made a very soft, almost unnoticeable noise as it came off, and the small tuna bites inside were revealed. Sheldon felt three pairs of green eyes peeking over his shoulders at the delicious treats. He quickly put the top back on and whipped around to glare at Jewel, Autumn, and Derek.

"Hey, eyes off! These are mine!" he teasingly scolded. "Go get your own!" The three Inklings took an embarrassed step back.

"Sorry, Sheldon," apologized Jewel with a chuckle, although she knew he wasn't actually mad. "We're headed out to go meet up with Agents 1 and 2. I think it's time to introduce them to the new Agent 4."