Chapter 11: Gone Phishing

Derek and Morgan approached the kettle leading to one of the entrances to New Octopolis City, opening the lid.

"Are you ready?" Derek asked. Morgan nodded with a nervous expression.

"I'm scared of going back here after what all I've seen but...I'm ready," Morgan replied. She seemed very scared.

"I'll be right with you to protect you," Derek promised with a determined look.

"Thank you, Agent 5," Morgan said with a grateful look. "For everything."

"Don't thank me yet," Derek replied. "Wait until we get out of here in one piece." He lowered himself into the kettle, and Morgan followed. The pink Inkling slammed the lid down behind her. The slam echoed loudly. Derek flinched, looking back at Morgan.

"I, uh, don't know my own strength," Morgan said with a nervous laugh.

"Hopefully no one heard that," said Derek, adjusting his Hero Shot on his left hip and peeking out of the small tunnel leading to New Octopolis City. Morgan quietly slipped her phone out of her pocket, sent a text and tapped on an app, slipped her phone back into her pocket, and joined his side. "Where to?" Morgan pointed to an apartment complex just outside of the main city.

"We'll travel through there," she said. "From there we'll travel through the back alleys to the prison." Derek looked at her.

"You seem to know a lot about this place," he said.

"It's the way I escaped," Morgan explained.

"I see. Lead the way."

The doors to the cafeteria opened, and ten exhausted, magenta ink-covered Octolings entered, all conversations stopping and all eyes turning onto them. Monica, Alecs, Kimberly, Kelly, and six of Kelly's underlings stepped inside the cafeteria, boots squelching with ink with every step. The Octolings dripped with ink from the lake at the bottom of October Canyon and embarrassment from being beaten so badly by the New Squidbeak Splatoon.

"So not only did we lose on purpose-" began Alecs.

"-We lost to an old man," finished Kimberly.

"Horribly," added Monica.

"At least we planted Morgan among them," Kelly said. "We have to prepare for her return once she lures the agents to the rendezvous point." Just then, Kelly's phone beeped. As she checked it, Skylar Rose walked up to the group.

"Aww, did you all go swimming?" she teased mockingly. She looked at Kelly. "Where's your informant?" Kelly turned on her phone, closing the messages app with a message from the night before saying "I'm in" and "I'm bringing Agent 5," and opened the tracker app on her phone, pointing to a small moving dot.

"Doing what she does best," replied the indigo Octoling. "Gathering information."

Thunder rumbled overhead in the distance.

"Faster, 4!" Jewel urged as she and Autumn sprinted across Octo Canyon in their agent gear. "We have to get to 5 before this storm hits!"

"I can't believe we didn't question Morgan," Autumn groaned. "There were so many red flags and discrepancies that I'm so upset we didn't see them before."

"We all fell for it," Jewel said. "And honestly? Despite Morgan most likely being an Octoling? I'm hoping there's some kind of misunderstanding, that - even if Morgan is an Octoling - she's somehow still on our side."

"Are you saying you kinda want to trust Octolings now?"

"NO OF COURSE NOT!!" exclaimed Jewel, over her shoulder at Autumn. "At the same time, if trusting an Octoling means getting Agent 5 out of danger, then...I'll do it!"