Chapter 16: Autumn Alone/What Happened to Sasha

Autumn was running. She didn't know who she was running from, but all she knew was she had to run. Her life depended on it. She caught flashes of where she was, recognizing the corridors of the Octarian army headquarters as she ran through them. Autumn dared a peek over her shoulder. About a dozen Octolings raced after her, none of them friendly-looking. Monica was among them, and the Octolings were gaining on Autumn fast.

"Loose Inkling! Don't let her get away!" one of the Octolings yelled. Autumn whipped around the corner, looking over her shoulder again. She looked forwards again with a yell as she ran straight into Dylan's outstretched grasp. The tall purple Octoling had been waiting for her, and now lifted the short Inkling off of her feet. Autumn kicked helplessly in the air, struggling to free herself from Dylan's grasp on her shirt collar as Dylan held her up against the wall. Monica and the other Octolings gathered around, looking up at the now exhausted Autumn.

"What's this one going to be for?" asked a male Octoling who looked almost exactly like Monica, only slightly older and indigo. "Target practice or spare parts?"

"Eddison, shut up," Monica said as if she was fed up with the Octoling, rolling her eyes. "Clearly, she's arena entertainment."

"I don't know how you survived," Dylan began, making a fist with his free hand, "but we're going to make good use out of you."

"NOOOOOOO!!!!" Autumn wailed as Dylan's punch came flying at her face.

Autumn awoke and sat up with a yell, hyperventilating as she recovered from her strange dream. She grabbed her chest, slowly realizing where she was. She had fallen asleep on the couch in the Ammo Knights break room. Autumn was alone in the dark. Mere hours before, she and her roommates/best friends/fellow New Squidbeak Splatoon agents, Jewel and Derek, had been split up for their own safety after being found by Liam of the Elite Octobeak Squadrons. Autumn was left in Sheldon's care, and it was the first time she could remember being alone. Even after she had been released from the hospital with no name or memories, she had been in a small gang of troublemakers, led by an Inkling boy named Josiah. Granted, Josiah and his Inklings hadn't been the nicest to her, but they did at least take care of Autumn, helping her get back on her feet. Then, Jewel and Derek came along and befriended her - and also got arrested with her. That was fun. Then they gave Autumn her name. The only name she remembered. All of that had only happened two weeks ago. Autumn reached for her hat on the coffee table and slipped her feet into her flip-flops. Sheldon entered from the back.

"Oh good," he said. "You're awake. We got to go." Autumn looked back at him.

"Where are we going?" she asked, grabbing her previously packed bag and weapon case.

"Away from here," Sheldon replied, grabbing the keys to his truck.

"Wait, what time is it?" Autumn asked, looking outside into the dark Inkopolis Square.

"It's 4 AM," Sheldon replied as he and Autumn exited the shop. "Technically, we were supposed to leave when the others did, but you went in and cried yourself to sleep on my couch. I figured sleeping for a bit wouldn't hurt too much." The two of them climbed into the truck, with Sheldon getting into the driver's seat and Autumn climbing into one of the back rows. The Inkling laid down, staring up at the roof of the truck. Sheldon adjusted the rear-view mirror to get a better look at Autumn, just as he had when he moved Jewel and Derek to Inkopolis Square from the Plaza.

"You got anywhere you want to go?" Autumn sat up.

"There's this place in between Wahoo World and Hammerhead Bridge I've been wondering about," she said. "That coastal town where there was a Megalodontia attack. I want answers about someone who was there."