Chapter 3: Four-Shadowing

The night was young. Jewel felt the wind blow her tentacles back as she stood on the roof of the apartment building in her Hero gear. Derek walked up beside her, dressed in his Hero gear as well. He held up two canned specials containing Zipcasters.

    "You ready?" Jewel asked with a grin. Derek grinned back, handing her a can.

    "Like you even needed to ask!" Can lids popped open and away the two Inklings went, zipping from one building to the next, laughing wildly. It was their first night back on the job - their real job, as agents of the New Squidbeak Splatoon - and the night after meeting Autumn, an Inkling girl who suffered from amnesia and couldn't remember her own name. Autumn was currently back at the apartment, asleep in her bed, unaware that her roommates were breaking the curfew set on them the day before for landing in trouble for a locker room fight. However, that didn't really matter now. The agents were back in business. Jewel did a backflip midair and extended a limb to grab onto Deca Tower.

    "Booyah!" she exclaimed. Derek landed next to her on the tower.

    "Look at that view," he said as the Zipcaster ran out.

    "Amazing that we hadn't seen any of this before two days ago," Jewel said, breath-taken with Inkopolis at night. Two days ago, Maya, better known as Agent 4, and Jewel and Derek's mentor, was found dead in Splatsville. Jewel and Derek were quickly moved from Inkopolis Plaza to Inkopolis Square - not too much of a distance away from their old home but far enough away to discourage any Octolings from walking that much farther out in the open in Inkling territory.

    "See anything out of the ordinary?" Derek asked. Jewel squinted down at the ground.

    "Nope," she replied. "No gangs, no Octolings. Just a few Inklings and Jellies here and there and..." She trailed off as a light getting turned on caught her attention. "Oh no."

    "What's 'oh no?'" Derek asked, looking down at her from his perch.

    "A light just got turned on in the apartment," Jewel explained. "Autumn's up! She's going to wonder where we are if she leaves her room!"

    "Carp! Let's go." The two Inklings super-jumped back to the apartment building's roof, quickly darting down the stairs to the second floor where their apartment was. Derek fumbled with the key and the lock before finally getting the door open. He and Jewel slipped in and quietly shut the door before tip-toeing to their respective rooms and changing clothes. Both emerged in their night clothes, and at that moment Autumn peeked out of her bedroom, glanced at the closed apartment door and turned to her roommates.

    "Did I just hear the door open?" asked the golden yellow Inkling girl.

    "No," said Jewel as Derek at the same time said, "Yes." They side-eyed each other.

    "Yes," said Jewel as Derek at the same time said, "No." The two glared at each other. Autumn just stared at them in confusion.

    "Oooookay, I'm just going to go back to bed," she announced, closing her bedroom door awkwardly. Derek and Jewel let out a sigh of relief and wiped their brows.

    "That was close," breathed Jewel.

    "Too close," Derek added. He looked at Jewel. "We need to seriously be more careful." Jewel nodded.

    "I know I said last night that we would have that discussion on what to do if she ever found out when it got to that point but..." She eyed Autumn's door, then looked back at Derek. "I think we should plan on having it sooner than later." Derek nodded.

    "Tomorrow," he said. Jewel shook her head, and Derek facepalmed. "You just said-"

    "I know, I know," Jewel said quickly. "I'm not ready just yet."