Chapter 17: Project Neo Part 1 - Mask First, Questions Later

Monica took a deep breath as she approached the entrance to Phoenix's massive lab. She looked down at the Black FishFry Bandana folded neatly in her hands. She remembered how Melody, her mother, had given it to her for her 14th birthday, and rubbed it with her thumbs nostalgically. Monica hadn't worn it since she volunteered to become a GenMo Octoling. Carefully, Monica folded it into a small square and stuffed it into her back pocket. She took another deep breath, and entered into the lab.

"Today marks a momentous occasion for Octolingkind," Skylar Rose announced to the crowd of gathered Octolings, including DJ Octavio. "Today we rewrite history in our favor." Cheers erupted from the crowd. Skylar Rose looked off to the side and motioned Monica to join her side. "Our very own Number 8, the Perfect Soldier, has bravely volunteered to travel into the past and tip the scales of the Great Turf War to our advantage." More cheers. Alecs and Kimberly gave Monica worried looks as their leader went to join Skylar Rose.

"I'll be back before you know it," Monica promised them. "We'll have the whole world very soon." The three Octolings hugged, and Monica joined Skylar Rose on the little makeshift stage.

"Remember," began Skylar Rose in a whisper to Monica as she handed her a small device, "fail and you will return to no punishment unless you desert your comrades. Succeed and you will be rewarded greatly." Monica nodded.

"I understand, Alpha." With a grin, the one-eyed cyan Octoling held up Monica's left hand victoriously.

"This is your champion!" Skylar Rose shouted. The crowd cheers roared around the room, and they began chanting Monica's name. Pride swelled up in Monica's heart.

They're cheering for me, she thought. I'm finally loved by everyone.

"Go forth, Monica, our Perfect Soldier!" Skylar Rose exclaimed, giving Monica a slight shove towards the swirling time portal. "Go, and change history!" Monica waved at the cheering and chanting crowd. She turned towards the portal and inhaled deeply, taking a breath and stepping through it. Monica disappeared, and almost immediately, everything began changing. The time portal began flickering before abruptly shutting off. Alarms began blaring in warning. No one had any time to react as a wave of energy exploded from the large circular device, running through a majority of New Octopolis City and damaging and/or ruining almost every building. Octolings began disappearing from the dome, getting replaced with confused Inklings. As its screen struggled to stay on, the main console that controlled the time portal showed Monica's hearts flatlining, one after another. And finally, the time portal completely shut down, its purpose complete.

3 HOURS- 4 SECONDS- 5 MONTHS- 8 MINUTES- 100 YEARS-

AN UNKNOWN AMOUNT OF TIME LATER

The time portal lit up, and a swirling vortex of energy filled the device. Curious, Jewel, Autumn, and Derek cautiously approached it. Autumn pointed up at it.

"What is this?" she asked. Jewel reached a hand out to touch the strange simultaneously liquid-like and mist-like energy, but pulled back last second.

"That, dear children, is what I call Project Neo." The agents whipped around with a gasp. Standing back by the console was Skylar Rose, with both of her blue eyes and an army of Octolings. The Inklings hadn't even heard them enter the room, and now they were trapped between their enemy and the weird circular portal device. Skylar Rose grinned.

"Welcome to the new timeline, Agents 3, 4, and 5," she said. "It's the one where you die." Jewel, Autumn, and Derek gasped. Skylar Rose touched her silver toothpick, and instantly the other remaining Elite Octobeak Squadron leaders - Phoenix (who did not have his lab coat on for once), Liam, Daisy, Dylan, Kelly, and Eddison - stepped forwards, Octo Shots raised and ready to fire.