Chapter 9: The Nameless Agent

Autumn lay awake in bed, going over the hazy vision she had seen earlier that day. The silhouette, the room, the box of cookies - none of it made sense. Sure, she had amnesia - Autumn couldn't remember anything beyond waking up in the hospital last year with severed suction cups. But this felt different, like something was starting to come back to her. Autumn still hadn't mentioned anything to Jewel and Derek, her roommates/fellow New Squidbeak Splatoon agents. She wasn't even sure if she should tell them.

    What do I do...? Autumn thought. I don't want to lie to them, but I don't know what I should tell them - IF I should tell them. There was a loud thunk! outside of her bedroom, followed by a pained yell from Derek. Autumn slipped out of her bed and peered out of her bedroom door at the orange Inkling, who had stubbed his toe on the couch in the dark and was now rubbing his injured foot with a wince on his face.

    "Are you okay?" Autumn asked, coming out of her bedroom. Derek looked up at her, putting his foot down and standing straight up.

    "Yeah," replied the long-haired orange Inkling. "Though I think I might've bruised my foot a little bit." Derek looked at his foot again and then turned back to Autumn. "What are you doing up so early?"

    "Couldn't sleep," Autumn replied. She didn't tell him why she couldn't sleep. How could she explain what she didn't understand herself?

    "I don't blame you after that day at MakoMart yesterday," Derek said, pulling his hair back as he prepared to put it up into a ponytail. "You went through a lot."

    "Yeah..." Autumn said, remembering all of the Splat Bombs thrown between twin rival gang leaders Kyle and Kylie, who were also Jewel's twin stepsiblings. She had gone through everything just to stop them from getting a box of cookies imported from Splatsville. A box of cookies that triggered the strange vision. The vision that was now causing Autumn her currently awkward situation. Jewel came out of her room, rubbing her eye sleepily.

    "Well, I guess I'm awake now," she muttered, glaring at Derek as he put his ponytail holder in his teeth to hold it.

    "Heh, sawwy," Derek apologized through his teeth before taking his ponytail holder out of his mouth.

    "I'm surprised you're awake this early," Autumn said. "Your alarm hasn't even gone off yet." Just then, Splattack! by Squid Squad starting playing on Jewel's phone. Jewel calmly took her phone out of her pocket and turned off the alarm. "Never mind."

    "I could say the same for you," Jewel said as she and Derek looked at Autumn. A small wave of panic washed over the golden yellow Inkling.

    "UHHHHHHHH just couldn't sleep," she said quickly. "Like at all. Had such a sugar rush from the cookies that it kept me up allll night." Autumn gave a nervous chuckle. Going by their looks, it was very clear her roommates didn't believe her. Just then, Derek's phone rang. He looked down at it.

    "Oh, it's Sheldon," he said, answering it. "Hello?" His face went from a tired neutral expression to sudden panic. "WE'LL BE RIGHT DOWN!!" Derek comically threw his phone aside onto the couch and grabbed his regular clothes and ran into his room.

    "What's up?" Jewel asked. Derek quickly zoomed out wearing his jacket and shoes, and held his headphones in one hand as he vaulted over the couch and grabbed his phone.

    "THEY'RE HERE RIGHT NOW, WE GOTTA GO!!" he yelled as he ran out the apartment door.

    "OH COD, THEY'RE EARLY AND WE'RE NOT READY!" Jewel exclaimed, running back into her room to get changed.

    "What's happening?" Autumn asked.

    "AUTUMN GET DRESSED AGENTS 1 AND 2 ARE HERE!!"

    "OH MY COD. WE'RE NOT READY AT ALL!!!" Autumn sped back into her room to get ready.