Chapter 12: The Agent and the Octoling

Rain poured down upon Octo Canyon and Octo Valley mercilessly. It was the biggest rain both areas had seen all year. Jewel stared out the window, thinking of how she and Autumn had to leave Derek behind in the evil Octolings' clutches.

"Ugh!" she exclaimed, throwing her head back. "When is this rain going to end?"

"It's been raining since yesterday," Autumn said grimly. "We haven't even gotten a chance to try to go rescue Derek."

"We can't even sneak into their city and plan anything," moaned Jewel.

"I know things look bad," Cuttlefish said from his old recliner chair, "but we can't give up hope. Derek will be okay. If anything, they'd use him as bait for a trap."

"Is that supposed to make us feel better?" asked Autumn.

"What I'm trying to say is, he's way too valuable for them to just execute. If he dies, they lose any advantage they have over us."

Derek sighed as lay in his solitary confinement cell. It was dark, and he could barely see anything that wasn't lit up by his Hero Mindset. Down the hall, he heard a door unlock, followed by a scream. Derek sat up.

"No, no, no, no, no! Not me! NOT ME!" wailed a voice. Derek crawled to his cell's solid metal door, pressing his ear to it. The begging became inaudible as whoever it was had been taken from the prison. Derek sat back and blinked, wondering what he had just heard.

The green Inkling boy found himself not only rudely awakened that morning but taken into what the prisoners referred to as the "Room of No Return." Anyone who was taken here was never seen again, and no one knew what became of the Inklings and prisoner Octolings who were brought here. The boy's arms were strapped to a chair that was bolted to the floor. He struggled against the straps as Skylar Rose and Phoenix entered, along with a few of their Octolings.

"Did Dylan do the adjustments to the goggles?" Skylar Rose asked Phoenix, who nodded as he handed her a pair of metal goggles with small glowing purple dots for eyeholes.

"Yes," replied Phoenix. "They should work now." Skylar Rose approached the trembling Inkling with the goggles.

"Hold still now," she said as the boy stared at her with terrified eyes. Skylar Rose slipped the goggles over his head. Phoenix flipped a switch. There was an electric crackling noise from the goggles and sparks popped and flew everywhere. The boy yelled. Skylar Rose frustratedly raised a hand, and Phoenix flipped the switch off. The boy went limp, with shallow breathing. Smoke from the goggles gently rolled off of his face. Skylar Rose gently lifted the goggles up and looked the boy in the eyes.

"Another failure," she groaned, throwing her hands in the air as she turned around to face Phoenix. Phoenix's Octolings hid behind him out of fear of his sister. Skylar Rose looked back at the boy, who had now regained control of his eyes and was staring at her in fear.

"What do we do with this one?" one of Phoenix's Octolings asked with a scared gulp.

"Take him to the sector where we put the prisoners for experiments. He can be in the next batch of ones we throw into the arena or whatever." Skylar Rose touched her silver toothpick, and two of her Octolings unstrapped the stunned and slightly singed Inkling and hauled him off to another cell to keep quiet about their projects.

"I...I thought we had it this time for sure," sighed Phoenix, as his Octolings quietly slipped out of the room, in case Skylar Rose decided to reassimilate one of them out of fury.

"The upgraded artificial goggles are still a work in progress unfortunately," Skylar Rose said with a distinct tone of disappointment and frustration. She shrugged. "We must keep trying. A way to upgrade our artificials would greatly increase our odds of success for an invasion of the surface." Phoenix nodded.