Chapter 1 - There are Weirder Ways to Learn About Murder

She's forced to sit down on a couch in a psychiatrist's office. She puts her feet up on the couch and crosses her arms defiantly, she didn't want to be here, if it was her choice she wouldn't have even agreed to this stupid psychiatric evaluation in the first place. She knew she was mentally unstable and she was okay with it, it wasn't hurting anyone, well except for the people it did hurt.

An older woman walks in with a clipboard and a pen. She had her hair up in a bun and was wearing a suit to make her look more professional. "Are you Grim?" She asks as she takes a seat in the chair across from the couch.

"Depends on who you are." The younger girl says, her short, wavy, light brown colored hair trapped underneath her shoulders as she stares at the older woman sitting down across from her.

"Do you know who this belongs to?" She holds up a mask that is identical to the one the girl is wearing, except the mask has a few cracks in it.

The girl immediately sits up, her expression serious, "Why do you have that."

"I could ask you the same question with that mask you're wearing right now, you and this mask seem to be very connected somehow." The older woman says calmly, still holding up the mask.

"No shit, where did you find that." The girl says as she gives the older woman across from her a serious stare.

"I found it in a crime scene where someone had been murdered. Do you know anything about that?" The older woman sets the mask down on the side table next to her as she wrote something down on the clipboard.

"Yes, I do in fact. Why the hell would you steal it from a fucking crime scene?" The girl's anger showing in how she spoke.

"Because I couldn't let the police have it. They would have locked it in an evidence locker, and I would have never been able to access it. You see my dear, I need it because I need answers." The older woman spoke calmly, although there was a hint of personal connection to what she was doing.

"For what?" The girl crosses her arms again, she was starting to get defensive about the topic.

"To find out who killed my brother, he was a villain and I know the police would never actually do something about his death if they knew he was a villain. I'm a nothing more than a psychiatrist, like I said before, the police wouldn't do anything. So I went there, found this mask that you call yours and I'm going to use it to find out who killed my brother. Do you understand? Or do I need to simplify it for you?" She looks at Grim in a very condescending tone.

That clearly struck a nerve with the girl, she abruptly stood up and got in the older woman's face, "Look lady, I don't know who the fuck you think you are but that mask belonged to my brother, that was his crime scene, and he fucking died there. I'm sorry that you lost someone too but that came from my brother's death scene." She says angrily as she points a finger in the woman's face.

The woman looked at Grim with a seemingly confused expression, "Your brother? He died at that scene?"

"Yeah, so give me that mask and get out. I don't want to be here and I'm sure neither do you." Grim crosses her arms again as she takes a step back to give the woman room.

"What name did your brother go by?" The woman looked genuinely interested as she picked up her pen to begin writing.

"Shadow,"

"Was he a villain?" The woman looked Grim in the eyes with intrigue.

"No shit," Grim sat herself back down on the couch in an upset manner.