🏈2🏈

Aaron's POV

All day I dealt with the stares and whispers around me. I hate the attention, but I know that by now, word has spread of me kissing Kayla – or rather, of Kayla kissing me. I cringe as I think about it.

Kayla and I have known each other since we were five, right from the moment she put earthworms in my pencil case. From then, I hated her and kept my distance from earthworms. She was a demon, a she-devil, a sly vixen, unlike some girls who were just naturally amazing.

Girls like Alicia.

I allowed myself a split second to reflect on my ex-girlfriend before dragging my mind back to Kayla. She was aware of my hatred towards slackers and rule breakers like herself.

So of course, it was shocking that she kissed me, especially when she was dating Jason, my sworn enemy.

I hear more whispers around me, and a grimace crosses my usually bland face before I can hide it.

As a middle child, I am unused to getting so much attention, and even though at school I am the smartest and also the best football player, I am rarely in the spotlight. I am unsurprised to find out how much I hate it. I am tempted to yell out that I had no idea about Kayla's mad plan to kiss me.

Then something happens which changes my mind.

At that moment, Keon, my closest friend runs up to me, his glasses bouncing up and down his nose with speed. Keon is the president of the matheletes and chess club, and he is a total geek, almost like me.

"Aaron, I heard that you and Kayla Barnes are a... thing?", he half accuses, half asks.

I don't say anything, but I give a small secret smile.

🏈🏈🏈

It seems forever until the period before lunch, chemistry, which is one of the few periods that Kayla and I have together. I arrive early, going to the back of the class. I don't usually sit here, but I have to have a conversation with Kayla, and it has to be private. I keep my eyes on the door as students shuffle in, waiting for Kayla to enter, but she doesn't. Finally, the teacher, Mr Krebs enters, shutting the door behind him, and I deflate. Why did I expect a trouble maker like her to actually show up for...

The door swings open, and I crane my neck just to be able to make out Kayla waltzing into the class looking totally unbothered.

"Hey Crabby", she smiles at the teacher, who looks at her over his glasses. Mr Krebs is old and practically ignores a lot of students including Kayla.

"Late as usual", he mutters as Kayla scans the classroom. Her eyes pick me out, and she saunters over to where I am seated, plopping down on the seat next to me.

"I thought you always sat at the front rulebook", she says, raising her eyebrows questioningly. "Don't tell me that I've changed you with just one kiss."

I ignore her comment. "We need to talk", I start, but she interrupts me.

"About the kiss?", she gives a short laugh as Mr Krebs turns off the light to play a video. "I needed to show Jason that I've moved on from him – we just broke up you know 'cause it turns out that he is a cheating liar. You happened to be the only person around so I did what I had to do." She shrugs nonchalantly.

I did not know that she and Jason had broken up, though it doesn't surprise me that Jason is a cheater. He is a jerk anyhow. "I don't care about your love life. That isn't why I wanted to talk." I take a deep breath. "Alicia texted me"

She looks at me questioningly, as if she does not understand the gravity of the situation. I struggle to keep my emotions void of any emotion.

"Who is Alicia, and why should we be happy that she texted you."