🏈30🏈

Aaron's POV:

Friday.

The day of my last game of football.

All week, I practiced hard on the field, throwing, running and catching. My teammates seemed to have noticed that their team captain was more active and they responded to that, showing up early for practice and often staying till very late.

I have never been prouder.

I've also been spending time with Kayla and Keon, or Kayla and Steph – not Steph and Keon together, because they cannot seem to stand each other.

Kayla hasn't elaborated more on what she meant last week when she said that my parents couldn't stop me from playing football, and every time I bring it up around her, she gets really quiet, or changes the subject. As much as I love her, I have to admit that I am a bit nervous.

Kayla can be a bit crazy.

The bell rings signaling the end of the class and drawing me out of my thoughts. The school day is finally over.

I sling my bag over my shoulder and rush out of the classroom when I collide with Kayla who is rushing out of the class opposite mine. We both groan in pain as we crash into each other, and then burst out laughing.

"How was your class today?", she asks as she helps me pick up my bag which had fallen in the collision.

"It was actually boring", I say honestly, looking deep into her green eyes. "I wished you were there", I whisper into her ears placing a peck on her cheek.

Her eyes widen in surprise for a moment, before she gives me a sweet smile.

We begin to make our way towards the football field. Today is the match against Glendale High, and I want to get out there early in order to give me enough time to give a motivational speech to my team. This was probably going to be my last game and I want it to be the best game I have ever played, even though it might end up being the worst game I've ever played.

As if reading my thoughts, Kayla's warm hand slips into mine, drawing circles against my palm. "You're going to be amazing out there"

I can't help but smile, all my doubts for the upcoming game being washed away instantly.

We finally make it to the football field, and even though we are about half an hour early for the match, I can see that all my teammates had the same idea and turned up early to the field. They must have left class immediately after the bell rang and changed in a hurry, but there they all are, waiting anxiously for me.

As soon as they see me, their face brighten considerably, and I nod at them to continue practicing while I walk to the locker room to get changed.

I get to the locker room which is empty since all the boys are on the field, and I shrug off my shirt, just as the door opens and Kayla walks in.

Her eyes linger a bit on my abs before she hastily averts her eyes.

"Like what you see", I tease, raising an eyebrow.

"You wish rulebook", she rolls her eyes. "I actually came to just wish you luck. Be yourself and enjoy the game. OK?"

I feel warmth in my chest at the knowledge that she snuck into the boys locker room just to wish me luck. I sniff a bit.

"Oh don't cry"

She walks up to me and gives me a hug which seems to last an eternity. I am enveloped by her scent and I could just stay like that forever. She pulls away slightly, and gives me a peck on the lips.