🏈9🏈

Aaron's POV:

"Delany, get your head in the game", Coach Hernandez yells at me, as I trip, landing on the floor.

"Sorry sir", I bite out frustratedly from the ground, knowing that I sound more angry than apologetic.

"Everyone, take a five-minute break", Coach says, and everyone begins to disperse. "Not you Delany"

I know that I am in for a lecture. I've been off my game for a whole week, and I haven't been able to get my head in any of the practice drills we've gone through.

Because of Kayla.

It's been a week, a whole week since the incident in the nurses' office, since we almost made out and I used our safe word. A whole week since I last saw her, except for the random glimpses in the corridors. She hadn't even come for detention. She had my number, but she didn't text me or call. I had already checked her Instagram and seen the picture that she posted of us, as well as a lot of other pictures from various parties that she had attended in the past, but there were no recent posts, and no way to find out what had happened to her.

And I find myself missing her.

Why did I stop the kiss? My first thought later that night as I pondered it was that I had probably been thinking about Alicia, but that wasn't true. My brain hadn't even been remotely on Alicia. In fact, as much as I wouldn't like to admit it, I was into the kiss, I wanted it. And yet, the knowledge that I wanted her, that the girl I had promised not to fall for was the one that I wanted, that was what made me panic.

Maybe it was a good thing that I hadn't seen her in a while

"Aaron your game is slipping", Coach Hernandez's voice drags me back to the present. "This past week you haven't been focused. I asked around and I heard that you are in detention"

I don't say anything. There is nothing to say really. He is right and my game has been slipping and I am in detention.

"You're supposed to be a leader Aaron, a beacon of light to the rest of your teammates. That's why you're the captain. You can't lead if our game is off"

I shrug a bit, knowing that again, he is saying the truth.

"That's all, Aaron, you can get back on the field."

I turn to go away, but Coach stops me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "One more thing. I know it's none of my business, but try to get yourself out of detention. Your parents are going to use any excuse to take you out of football, and we don't want to give them one ok?"

I nod, the wind stinging my eyes. Coach means well, and he's the only one at school other than Keon who knows about my parents. Without Coach, I probably wouldn't even be a player. I can still remember the tryouts, my first game, moments from football that will forever be imprinted in my mind, moments that would have been nonexistent if not for Coach.

"I will Coach", I say, and he nods.

"Good, now let's call these midgets back and continue with practice."

🏈🏈🏈

I pushed myself through the practice by sheer force of willpower, but I was glad when it finally ended. For the first time, football was depressing me, rather than lifting up my spirits. I didn't get lost in the game the way I usually would, and I could tell that Coach Hernandez could see that, but he could also see that I was trying and he didn't call me out again, even though I probably deserved it.

I trudged to the locker rooms along with the rest of my teammates, most of who were loudly cheering, probably planning some party. I couldn't care less – I had more important things on my mind.