[004]~ 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝓉𝒾𝑔𝓂𝒶 𝑜𝒻 𝒮𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔

"The hats barely spoken"

"She's a hatstall"

"It's been over 5 minutes"

"Can they just take it off and try again?"

"Is that dumb old thing broken?"

"I mean, about time"

"Is it really that hard to sort her?"

"I can easily do it's job for it"

"We already know she's a Slytherin, why is it taking so long"

James looked over at the other Marauders. "Taking a bit long, are you guys gunna retract your guesses?" He asked his friends with a smug look.

"No way. That girls got history, AND she's an Ambrosius. I don't care how long the hat takes, she's a Slytherin." Peter leaned back nonchalantly.

"She was pretty nice on the train, I'm backing out of this one, but I think my guess would be between Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw." Remus pondered.

"Tell ya what Prongs, I think I just might swap my vote to Gryffindor. I think she's got the guts for it." Sirius laughed at his friend.

"I hope she's a Gryffindor." Marlene spoke. "I mean, my guess is Slytherin but I liked spending time with her on the train."

"Statistically it would be Slytherin. But did you see how she sat on the train? Each tiny detail, down to the direction she angled her feet, was calculated. If she cares that much about how she sits she's gotta be a Ravenclaw. Plus, she's clearly got Veela blood, just look at her." Alice argued.

"I'm just gunna hope she's a Gryffindor." Mary spoke. "What about you Lily?" She asked, snapping the red-head out of her daze.

"Huh? Oh yea, Gryffindor would be nice, but probably Slytherin." She spoke, not really paying much mind to her own words. The girl was lost in thought for the past 5 minutes. Sia was a lot more than she said she was. But to be fair I never asked. The girls seem to have known. I guess they weren't bothered by it. She lied, fitting for a Slytherin, but she had good reason to. She has been kind in every interaction I've had with her and doesn't seem to be dangerous. But maybe it's a ploy? Lily's head was swarming with thoughts, she almost missed the hat finally give its answer.

"Aha, I've got it. No matter what, your character will always shine through. I am certain, my dear, that the house that you would thrive best in would be-"

Everyone sat on the edge of their seats, even the people certain in their answers.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" The hat exclaimed. The room fell silent. Then a few whispers could be heard in the quiet.

"Did it finally break?"

"It's gotta be a mess-up"

"That's impossible"

"Well, guess it can no longer sing about how it's 'never been wrong'"

"No. Fucking. Way."

"As if."

"Did she cast a spell on the hat?"
"Is that possible?"

"She had to have tricked it somehow."

"How'd she do it?"

Sirius sat there shocked. If the hat made that clear of a fuck up on that girl, that girl clearly meant for Slytherin, does that mean it could've misplaced him too?

The room remained silent- save for the whispers- McGonagall took the hat off the young girl's head. Her tie turned yellow, as did the finer details of her robes. Yet the room remained still.