[017]~ 𝒞𝑜𝑜𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒦𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒸𝒽𝑒𝓇

Odessa awoke early that morning. She made her way across the room and peeked out the door into the hallway. Seeing the hallway empty and deeming the house had yet to wake, she turned to re-enter the room. She stopped when she heard a faint clanging from below.

She quietly made her way down the floors, following the noises. As she reached the ground floor, she realized the noises were coming from the basement, she carefully made her way down the dark steps, now hearing something sizzling.

She knocked on the door to the kitchen and carefully opened it. "Hello?" She called out uncertainly.

"Miss Ambrosius?"

"Oh, Kreacher. Good morning, I hope I'm not disturbing you." She greeted.

"No. Were you waiting for food for long? Kreacher is sorry. He will get right on it, what does miss Ambrosius like?" The house elf apologized.

"No, I just woke up. I don't need anything, I'm not too hungry." The elf hummed in acknowledgement and continued his cooking. "There's quite a lot going on in here." She remarked.

"It's typical breakfast, not too grand." He brushed off.

"You make all of this everyday. All alone?"

"Kreacher makes less when Young Master Regulus and Master Sirius are at Hogwarts. But yes, Kreacher works alone." The elf confirmed.

"Could I help?"

The elf shook his head. "Kreacher couldn't make you do the work."

"No, I want to. I enjoy cooking." She assured him. "And I want to express my gratitude."

"Very well, if that is what miss Ambrosius wants." Kreacher gave in. "If you could start the pancake mix, please."

"Of course." She smiled, getting to work.
She put together all the ingredients and began mixing them in a bowl. "Hey Kreacher, you don't have to call me miss Ambrosius, just Odessa is perfectly fine." She assured him.

"No, that is what mistress calls miss Ambrosius, and what Kreacher too, should call you. Kreacher must treat miss Ambrosius with the utmost respect." Kreacher refused.

Odessa smiled sadly, seeing something in Kreacher that reminded her of herself. "Very well, if that is what you are comfortable with." She accepted.

———————————

The two worked tirelessly to finish the feast of a breakfast. "Wonderful. Well, is there anything else we need?" She asked Kreacher as they finished cutting the last of the fruit.

"If miss Odessa could grab the syrup from the pantry, that should be all." Kreacher replied.

Odessa headed over to the walk in pantry and began looking around for the syrup. She noticed a glass bottle of pure maple syrup pushed to the back on the second to top shelf. She stood on her toes and tried to push her arm to the back but alas, it was too far. She fell back to the flats of her feet and looked around for something she could stand on.

"Now see, I wasn't surprised when you helped the kitchen elves at Hogwarts. But I will admit, I was not expecting to find you helping Kreacher make breakfast this morning." The boy laughed from behind her. He grabbed the syrup she was reaching for and held it out for her. "This was what you were grabbing, correct?" He asked.

She accepted the glass jug from him. "Yes, thanks Reggie." She answered, her face tinging pink. "It wasn't my plan, but I woke up early and made my way down here. When I saw him cooking all of this by himself I figured I ought to help." She defended.