Prologue: Octavia

I swing my legs through the air, hands gripping the tree branch beneath my legs. Demetrius is supposed to meet me any minute now. Just as the thought crosses my mind, I see him walking towards me.

Grinning, I wave, but he doesn't return it. Something is wrong. He pauses at the bottom of our tree, waving me down. I drop without a second thought, crouching into the landing beside him. Standing, I hug myself starting to feel self conscious.

"What's wrong?"

His lips twitch and he looks away. "Why do you have to be so perceptive?"

"We've known each other for years! Why wouldn't I be perceptive?" Dread pools in my stomach. Something is most definitely wrong.

"Vi," he sighs, his eyes going sad. "I— I— I'm so sorry, Vi." He stares at the ground, his jaw tight.

"For- for what?"

He doesn't answer, and I step closer to cup his cheek. "For what, Demetrius?"

He leans into my touch. "For this." He steps away, straightening and looking directly over my shoulder. "It's my duty to my Court to choose a bride and to choose one well." He works for the words for a second, before finally looking me dead in the eye. "I'm sorry, Vi, but this has to end. I can't marry a general's daughter."

"What?" The world spins, and I drop against the tree. "What?"

"I'm sorry," he repeats. "I— I'm going to Loam for the summer. Mother and Father believe Princess Esarosa and I will—" he stops, and I look up at him.

"They want you to marry her." A princess of course. I can't marry a general's daughter.

Demetrius steps forward, leaning down to catch my eyes. "Can we—"

"No." I shake my head, pushing back the threatening tears. "I can't..." I take a deep breath and force myself to say the words. "I won't watch you marry someone else."

He nods, his face going blank. "I understand."

I excuse myself, fleeing the gardens to home. I'll never return again. Not after today.