Demetrius

Things get thrown into my trunk without any kind of organization. I need to get back to Scle as soon as possible. I know deep down Vi isn't there, but I feel so much more connected to her there after all the time we spent together at Sumerkat.

It takes no time at all to be all packed up. I give my thanks to King Malik and Queen Ailsa before saying goodbye to Rose. Placing a soft kiss to her cheek, I whisper, "Good luck with your love, Rose."

"And you with yours," She returns, a glimmer in her eye. Dipping her head, she steps back, and I whip open a door home. I hoist my trunk through and step through myself with one last wave to Rose. I can't believe Mother and Father thought us a good match. We're better suited as friends than lovers.

The cool Scle air settles over my skin as my eyes adjust to the dark lighting of twilight that occupies the Court I call home. Stars twinkle in the sky, almost as if they're promising me that everything will work out.

A spring fills my step in my walk through the palace gates. Sumerkat is a grand castle, rivaling even the High Palace, Ayhava, in beauty. The iridescent walls shimmer with magic and power. I'm so honored to call it my home. One day, I'll rule from here.

A young servant rushes to bow before me. "Your Highness, it's good that you are home early." Tears fill her eyes and her hands quake. "Th- The King and Queen..."

My brows furrow. "Are they asking for me?"

She shakes her head, swallowing away what appears to be a lump in her throat. "Th- They're dead, Your Highness."

The world spins around me. Dead? "Both of them?"

"Yes, Your Highness. I'm so sorry."

I purse my lips, resting my hands on my hips. Inhaling deeply, I attempt to regain control over my emotions. I was never overly close to my parents, but that doesn't mean I won't mourn them. Afterall, I'm not even thirty years of age, and now I'm meant to be King? The majority of the reigning Royals are twice my age if not more. Some are only a decade or two older, but still. They'll never take me seriously.

"What happened?" I didn't even realize I was curious until the words were out of my mouth.

"They went to bed immediately after dinner, Sir, and never woke up. General Devlin believes they were poisoned."

Poisoned. My parents were poisoned at a private dinner. Someone here wants us dead. "Thank you..." It occurs to me that I don't know her name.

"Cecilia, Your Highness."

"Cecilia. That's a lovely name." Her cheeks pink, and I come to a conclusion. One that I will definitely receive backlash for. "Cecilia, I need all staff and guards dismissed. Immediately."

Her mouth drops open, but she nods and scurries away with a tiny curtsy. They might hate me for this, but it's the only way I can avoid the same fate as my parents.

Soon, the palace is a quiet, lonely place. Everyone has been cast out. I'm alone with only my thoughts to keep me company. And boy do they.

Vi mostly occupies them, with plans of how to win her back. I can't assume her father will send her here once he hears of me being King. I'll need something else to draw her here. Some kind of secret her father can't resist.

My eyes land on a pin my Father never went without. A golden sun encased in three triangles rests at the tip. It's a symbol for something, but I don't know what. That might do the trick. If I start appearing places with people wearing these, he might start to believe I've joined something new and be intrigued enough to send his best sleuth. My Vi. Of course, I won't wear the pin myself unless I know exactly what it symbolizes.

Once Vi starts to interact with me once again, I'll woo her. I've done it before, it shouldn't be too hard to do it a second time.

A grin fills my face until my cheeks hurt. This is it. I'll get her back in no time at all. That part of my heart that has never been satisfied since I sent her away will finally be content again.

Cedric arrives in no time, helping me to prepare a small funeral for my parents, the crowning ceremony that will officially make me King of Scle, and determine a few members of my staff that are loyal to me before the night falls.

For the first time in years, despite the deaths of my parents, I fall asleep with a smile on my face. I have a chance of winning back the love of my life.