Chapter 1

Two years later

"Daughter," Father commands. "Come here."

I set my book down and stand. He must have another mission for me. Quickly, I walk to his study but pause outside the door to take a deep breath.

"Yes, Father?" I ask, walking into his study and dropping into a deep curtsy, usually saved for royalty.

"That boy you used to play with in Scle. He is King now, is he not?"

My breath catches. He could only be talking about one person, and I vowed to myself that I would never speak of him again. "I believe so."

"Hmmm. He is throwing a ball tonight, and I want you to go and find out what you can about his military forces."

I nod and turn to leave.

"Ah ah ah. Not too fast daughter. What do you have left to say?"

"I promise," I whisper.

My father smirks, his hands curling into fists. I reflexively brace for a blow. "You know the punishment for failure," my father spits.

"I know."

"Good, now get out there and make me proud."

I nod, and head to get changed into acceptable clothing for a ball I never wanted to go to.
***

Stepping out of the carriage, I take a moment to let the flashbacks pass. So many memories surrounding this palace. And the man who owns it.

Shaking my head, I make sure nothing shows on my face. Then I pull the coy confident mask over my features and make my way up the courtyard steps.

When I arrive inside the palace, my heels click against the marble floors. Guests whisper when they see me. I guess my reputation precedes me. The Master of Ceremonies takes my invitation and announces, "Lady Octavia of the Court of Aero."

All eyes turn to watch me walk into the ballroom. I act like I don't care by glancing around. It also gives me a moment to see what's changed since the last time I was here. High sconces cast long shadows around the room, and new banners hang on the walls. As I look around, my eyes are drawn to a deep purple gaze that I have burned into my memory. For the second time tonight, my breath catches.

He grins and moves through the crowd towards me. I stand frozen on the spot, my eyes locked on his.

"Vi?" He set his hands on my shoulders, to pull me close, but I stepped back.

"This isn't a pleasant visit, Demetrius," I scold.

Now it's his turn to step back. "Ah, I see." He reaches up to rub his chin where I can now see is a bit of scruff that makes him all the more alluring. "What does he want now?"

I look away and mumble, "Information about your military forces."

"Alright," Demetrius says, nodding his head. "Shall we?"

He tips his head towards the open doors that lead to the gardens and offers his arm. I stare at the moonlit walkway for a moment and slip my hand into the crook of his arm. He leads the way out of the room, no proof that our contact is affecting him the way it is me. My heart pounds, my hands shake and I can't seem to breathe. All symptoms I'm quite familiar with.

My eyes take a second to adjust in the moonlight, but when they do they widen. He's taking us to our tree. My feet stop moving, and Demetrius looks back at me.

"Is something wrong?"

"I- I miss your roses," I stutter. Once the words are out of my mouth, I realize how true they are. There's nothing quite like the roses here in Scle.