Chapter 9

Freya  adjusts my long, star speckled black veil behind me, her lips set in a tight line. She hates it. That much is obvious.

I love the look, and I think it's perfect for a soon to be Queen. The fabric is a deep black satin with embedded crystals to give off a galaxy effect. There's no sleeves, instead two pieces of sheer jeweled fabric protrude for the shoulders in a train that matches my veil. Demetrius won't be able to keep his eyes off of me. Not that it matters.

Freya gives me a moment alone just before the wedding bells begin to ring. I take a few deep breaths for courage, and one last glance in the mirror. I hardly recognize myself anymore. So much has changed. I'm no longer the scared little girl Demetrius first met. I've grown into myself and my power. It's time to marry the man I fell in love with.

Everything is quiet when I step from the small room just outside the Sclian castle's chapel. It's a place for brides and their party to get ready before they say their vows. Today, it was just me. Demetrius is waiting for me at the door, and the second his eyes land on me, all the air seems to rush from the room. His look is so full of love and adoration, I don't know what to do. I never expected to be marrying out of love. It was always supposed to be arranged by my Father. Which, in a way, it was. I never would have said yes if Demetrius hadn't been encouraged by Father's agreement to the match. He was practically unstoppable.

"You look... I don't even have the words to describe how you look, Vi," Demetrius says, moving to take my hands and give them a squeeze. "I can't wait to—"

"Don't," I interject, putting a finger to his lips. "I can hardly breathe as it is, so let's just get this over with."

He chuckles, tucking my arm through his and leading me to the chapel doors. The much larger than expected gathering rises at the signal of the minister and watches us walk down the small walkway. It's awkward and unsettling. Demetrius must sense my rising anxiety because he places his other hand on mine, drawing me closer to his side. We make it to the minister — finally — and the crowd sits.

"Marriage is a very special union," The tall woman begins, taking a black rope and wrapping it around our joined hands as she speaks. "Today, two Courts and two people will be joined together for as long as the world shall be. We are honored to witness such an event."

Demetrius dips his head in acknowledgement of her gratitude, and she moves into the ceremony.

"When a man and a woman choose to enter into the sacred pact of marriage, they vow to not only be loyal to one another, but also to put the other above everything else in this world. Demetrius Elsher and Octavia Bradbury, are you ready to make this vow?"

Demetrius looks over at me, eyes twinkling and nods. "I am."

The minister looks at me, and I choke out the word, "Yes."

Nodding, she instructs, "Repeat after me: to bind this marriage, I make this vow. I vow to protect you with my life, to give you my everlasting devotion, my loyalty, my respect, and to put you first above all."

She pauses, and Demetrius and I recite it back to her. Purple and white sparks burst through the air, proving just how powerful this vow is.

Even though I just did something irrevocable, a knot I hadn't noticed before eases in my chest. I find myself breathing easier, and unexpected tears prick my eyes as the minister talks about love and loyalty. Finally, she stops for a second and looks between Demetrius and I.

"Great things will come of this union, I'm sure of it. With the approval of Extier, I now pronounce you husband and wife."

The people sitting behind us clap politely. Demetrius turns to face me, his lips tilted in a half smile. I almost forgot what comes next. The kiss. I don't even know why it's still a tradition. Some marriages are for convenience not love. And kissing the love of your life can seem too... intimate in front of half your spouse's Court. Still, it appears I have to do it.