Chapter 3

I should have known sneaking into the Sclian palace was going to be trouble. I should have known Demetrius would increase the security after becoming king. I shouldn't have assumed it would be just as easy as before, when he was prince.

It should have occurred to me when I almost fell while climbing the wall. If not then, then obviously when no one was around when I reached the tallest window. Of course it didn't, and now I'm face to face with the one person I was trying to avoid. The person I'm always trying to avoid.

"Nice of you to drop in, Vi," Demetrius jokes, amused at his pun.

My mouth drops open. "How did you-"

"Know you were here?" He laughs. "I have eyes everywhere."

I squint at him. "Since when?"

"Since forever." He shrugs, stepping closer. "What are you doing, sneaking in?"

I avoid his gaze. He steps closer again, tipping my chin up to meet his eyes with a finger. He raises an eyebrow, and I sigh. "Ileftsomethinghere," I finally mumble.

He doesn't even ask for a clarification. "Why, pray tell, didn't you just use the front door?"

"I was... avoiding someone?"

"And who might that be?"

I don't answer. He knows. He always does. He nods, stepping back and folding his arms. I lean against the wall, doing my best to act nonchalant while my nerve endings go wild from his proximity. He smirks, immediately seeing through my disguise.

"I should head out," I say, throwing a thumb over my shoulder. Taking a quick step backwards, my legs hit the wall beneath the window, and I release the grappling hook from my belt. It catches on the ledge, and I repel down the wall.

At least, that's what I planned to do. Demetrius's hand shoots out and grabs my rope. My legs bump against the wall as he pulls. It doesn't take long for him to pull me back up, and once I reach the window ledge, he reaches through and hauls me back into the room. I slap him across the face the moment my feet are under me.

"That was stupid," he growls. "You could have died! What were you thinking?!"

I scoff, flipping my long white braid over my shoulder. "Don't act like I haven't done worse."

Demetrius paces slightly, running his hand down his face. "I try not to think about it, alright?"

I shrug, looking down at my feet. "It's not that bad anymore. I'm used to it."

"But you shouldn't be," Demetrius grumbled. "Stay here, and that can all be in the past. You won't have to do stupid things like jumping out of a window."

I roll my eyes, planting my hands on my hips. "You can't be serious, Demetrius."

"I'm completely serious, Vi." He steps closer, trapping me against a wall. I glare at him, mapping out ways I could take him down and make my escape. "Stop that. I can see the gears moving in your head. Stop it. You're safe here."

My scowl deepens. He knows me well. Too well. "I can take care of myself."

"I know you can, but you can't fault me for wanting to take care of you. You're always going to be in danger if you stay with your father, but you could truly be free if you stay here."

"I'm not accepting charity," I spit. "I don't need your help. I'll take care of myself. I always have, and I always will. You had a chance to take care of me and you gave it up."

It's a low blow, and he knows it. I'm getting desperate. Demetrius sets his jaw, his purple eyes flashing. "Vi." I avoid his gaze, staring over his shoulder stubbornly. "Vi, look at me." I continue to ignore him. "Gosh dang it Vi!" He shouts, slamming his hand into the wall near my head. I refrain from flinching, but only barely. I've been trained well.

"I need to go, Demetrius," I say, my voice calm and unaffected. I'm quite proud of the wall I've been able to build up around my emotions. The mask I've practiced slipping on in dangerous moments. The way not a soul can tell what I'm really feeling.

"There's no way I'm letting you go back to that- that- that monster!"

I meet Demetrius's fuming gaze coolly. "That's not your decision to make."

"What if I lock you up?"

"I'll easily escape."

"Not from my dungeon. It's special."

"You underestimate my skills."

Demetrius laughs. "I don't underestimate a thing about you, darling."

Heat pools in my stomach, but I shove it down. None of that. I don't even have to force a scowl. "Stop that."

"Stop what," he asks, a knowing smirk curling his lips. He knows what I mean.

"Just- just stop." I can't manage these kinds of feelings right now.

"I'm not letting you go again, Vi. I was stupid once. Never again." Demetrius lifts a hand, running the backs of his fingers along my cheek.

"Demetrius," I say on a sigh, my eyes fluttering closed. Heat pools in my stomach, but I do my best to shove it down. Deep down.

"Stay. Please, Vi. And I don't care that I'll owe you a debt now, I just want you to stay."

I gasp, my hand flying to my collarbone. He's not messing around anymore. "I can't."

"Can't, or won't?" he growls, his hand cupping my cheek. I plant my hands on his chest and push with everything I have. He shifts, but only barely. I squeeze past anyway, and surprisingly he lets me.

"You know the answer to that," I huff, storming down the hall.

Father would know. And he would do everything in his power to get me back. When the Crimson Captain wants something, nothing else stands a chance.