Demetrius

Something is off with Vi. She hasn't seen me since I crashed her gown fitting. It's been four days. Tomorrow is our wedding day.

A tiny laugh bursts out of me. I still can't believe she said yes. I mean, I always hoped and dreamed, but she was so cold. So distant. And now it seems like she's reverting back to that. 

The tailor that's adjusting my suit at the very last minute gives me an odd look. I ignore it. The outfit is much more elaborate than I would usually wear, but this is a very special event. I'm finally marrying the woman of my dreams. That deserves something that costs a little bit more.

The Advocate greatly disagreed with marrying a non Royal from another Court, but when have I ever listened to her? Cicilia is most likely just upset that she didn't get her position at Sumerkat back after my parents death. She's not a huge worry unless her following continues to grow, which I doubt it will. Anyone can see her complaints aren't well founded.

"There, is that to your liking, Your Majesty?" The tailor asks, stepping away from me.

Glancing in the tall mirror, I check to make sure everything fits this time. It looks like it was made for me, which it was. "Yes, thank you. I'll make sure the payment is delivered before the night falls."

He nods and with a bow, leaves me be. I shed the frilly suit and change into my usual trousers and shirt. My boots are shoved onto my feet as an afterthought. There's no reason to go see Vi, but there also isn't a reason not to.

I sigh, rubbing the back of my neck. Cedric will have advice. He's always full of it despite being younger than me. He somehow still thinks himself wise.

I find him in the stables tending to his horse, Midnight. "Tell me if I should go see my bride or if I'm just being paranoid."

Cedric turns to face me, eyebrows high on his forehead. "No hello for your old friend?"

I tilt my head with a hard look. He raises his hands in surrender and goes back to brushing Midnight. I let out an impatient puff of air, and Cedric chuckles.

"Let me think, alright."

I cross my arms across my chest, tapping my foot ever so patiently. There's not much time left for a respectable visit, but since when have I cared about being respectable? I'm a King after all.

"You're getting married tomorrow, but you want to go see her now? You are crazy, did you know that?" Cedric asks, a suppressed laugh coating his words.

"I'm a man in love, that's what I am." My voice comes out all growly and tense.

"I'd suggest against it, Demetrius. You have just a few hours before she'll be here for the wedding. Wait it out. Let yourself cool off. About whatever lover's quarrel you're having, I don't need to know about it. Just give her space."

I smirk. "There's no quarrel, Cedric. She just seems distant, and I don't like it."

"She's probably trying to get some space before she has to spend the rest of her life stuck to you."

Is that it? Is she having second thoughts? I blow out a tense breath, all the relaxation I had found, gone. "Maybe I should go see her."

Cedric spins around. "Did you not listen to me! I said stay. Not go."

"You did, but..." I begin, raising an eyebrow. "You have no experience with women."

"I have plenty of..." He drops off when I give him a derisive look. "Alright, maybe not this kind of experience, but I do know women. They need space sometimes. So just give the woman space."

Rolling out my shoulders, I purse my lips. I'll see her again in a matter of hours, and I can work things out then. "Fine. I'll listen to you this time. If this doesn't work out, I'm blaming you."

"Alright, you do that."

Already he's gone back to Midnight. It's no wonder he doesn't have a wife or any prospects. He's too in love with his horse. I snort out a laugh as I leave. This had better work.