Demetrius

She was here. Right here. Already, she's messing up my plans. I love it.

Running a hand through my hair, I laugh. My Vi was here. In Sumerkat. I held her in my arms, danced with her even. I would've kissed her, but at least I have some self restraint. Actually, she just ran away before I got the chance.

Cedric kicks his feet up onto the ottoman, staring at me like I've gone mad. "You look like a lovesick fool, you know."

My grin grows, and I tip my head. "I am a lovesick fool."

Cedric's jaw drops. I chuckle, locking my fingers together and placing them behind my head.

"I've been in love since my school days, Cedric. How did you not know?"

"I- I thought you got over it honestly. Octavia Bradbury? The Aeryan General's daughter? Honestly, Demetrius, you can't do worse than that."

My smile falls. "She is your future queen. Show some respect."

"I hate to break it to you, but she ran away from you. Fast."

"It's not the first time," I counter, brushing aside his concerns. Even still, a knot tightens in my gut. "She loved me once, she can love me again."

"If you say so," Cedric sighs, closing his eyes. Within moments he's snoring softly. I snort to myself, rolling my eyes. His ability to fall asleep at any time, anywhere never ceases to amaze me. I drop my feet to the floor with a thud and walk out the door.

No matter what my friend says, I will win back Vi's affections. I just have to. I don't know how I'd live with myself if I don't.