Demetrius

With a groan, I set my head in my hands. What am I going to do?

My wife is asleep in our bed after being beaten by her father in my palace. Where were the guards? How did he even get in? This is unacceptable.

I have to do something, but what I don't know.

A knock on my study door has me lifting my head. "Enter," I command wearily.

Cedric Lekish, my general and best friend, ducks into the dark room with a bow. "My King. You called for me?"

"Come sit down, Cedric. This isn't a formal visit."

He shoulders lower with relief, and his usual grin fills his face. As he lowers himself into the chair across from me, he asks, "Well then, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

I sigh, running a hand through my hair before resting my hands on my head. "There's been an attack."

"Sir, I've received no news of this." Cedric rises to the edge of his seat, seriousness taking over his joviality.

"It happened within the palace." Slamming my hands onto my desk, I growl. "Why didn't I see this coming?"

"My King, I need the details if we're going to do anything about this." Cedric's gentle eyes keep me steady as I recount the story of finding Vi bruised and bloody on the floor of our room. His eyes fill with an emotion I can't name, but one that's filled my insides since I heard the love of my life tell me her father had done that to her. "What's the plan sir?"

"I was hoping you'd have some ideas," I mumble, exhaustion filling every fiber of my body. "If we start a war, it could cripple our Court. If I don't do anything..." I swallow, not wanting to say the words. I force myself to do it anyway. "It could happen again, and I won't let that be the case."

Cedric nods, staring at my desk as he thinks. Stroking the small beard he's been growing out, he purses his lips. "The Crimson Captain, general of Aero attacked your Queen on Scle soil. That is an act of war, Demetrius. I don't see a way around it without the other Courts viewing us as weak, especially if word got out about the attack."

"That's what I thought." I rest my head on my desk. "Don't prepare the troops until we have a more solid plan. And even then, do it in secret. We might have a mole."

"You really think it's that serious?"

I lift my head to look my best friend directly in the eye. "I had guards whose only job was to make sure Lecander never made it into the Court let alone Sumerkat. So tell me, how did it happen then unless someone on our side helped him through?"

Cedric dips his head, eyes filled with resignation. "I'll do whatever you ask of me Demetrius, you know that."

"Thank you, Cedric. I don't know what I'd do without you."

He smirks, raising a brow. "Life would definitely be droll."

Cedric has been by my side my whole life. Every adventure has had him in it. And now, he'll be by my side as we avenge my wife.