Chapter 10

It was always freeing to frolic through the gardens of the Sclian palace, but especially once Father got stricter with my training. I was constantly sore in the most random places and at home tests would come out of nowhere.

Here, the only worry was the growing swarm of butterflies in my stomach when the cute Prince was around. He loves to tease me and get a blush to rise in my cheeks. Rosalind, one of the lady's in waiting told me it's because he fancies me. I'm not so sure, but what would it hurt to find out? A plan builds in my mind all throughout morning training. I'm going to kiss him. That'll prove if he truly fancies me or not.

Finally, it's time for my astrology studies. I barely manage to pay attention during the lecture, my heart pounding in anticipation. Slipping from the crowd when the lesson ends, I make my way to the tree Demetrius always meets me at.

As I turn the corner through the hedges, I find the Prince. Kissing Rosalind.

I don't even try to mask my surprise or my footsteps as I run away. Demetrius's voice is a murmur in the background of my stabbing thoughts.

Of course he doesn't fancy me. It was such a stupid idea to think about kissing the Prince. There's obviously better prospects for him than a general's daughter.

Demetrius catches me at the edge of the rose gardens, his arm grasping my arm to keep me from running again. His breaths are heavy, his hair wild from... Nevermind I don't want to think about that.

"Look at me, Vi."

No. If I look at him these waiting tears will press through. I can't cry over him kissing another girl.

"What's wrong? Why won't you look me in the eyes? Was it— was it what happened with Rosalind because that— that wasn't—"

"It wasn't that," I insist. "I just— forgot something."

He doesn't believe me. That much is obvious. "Vi..."

I force myself to make eye contact with him. "Everything's fine."

"Your body language says otherwise."

Glowering, I jerk my arm out of his grasp. "Why does it matter?"

"It doesn't, I just—" he breaks off with a growl, shoving both of his hands into his thick locks of hair. "I don't like it when you're upset with me."

"If you don't want me upset then don't be so daft," I counter, crossing my arms.

He throws his hands up, huffing. "What was I daft about?"

"Everything!"

"This really is about Rosalind isn't it," he mumbles, dropping his hands onto his hips and letting out a breath. "You're jealous."

"No!"

"You are." He steps closer, lips curling into a victorious smirk. "And why, pray tell, would you be jealous of Rosalind?"

My breath catches, and all words fly out of my mind. The only thought left is to kiss him until he forgets about stupid Rosalind. Leaning up onto my toes, I clench his shirt in my fists and press my lips to his. He gives a little gasp of surprise, and it's adorable. Then his arms wrap around my waist, and he pulls me closer. Those butterflies in my stomach go crazy. I let him take the lead, and he surprises me by pulling back with a couple light little kisses.

"Are you trying to make me go insane, Vi?" He whispers, pulling back completely.

"I just needed to know. At least once I needed to know."

He gives me a slow grin that simultaneously sends the butterflies into a flurry and breaks my heart. "There will most definitely be more."

"But Rosalind—"

"To Deimos with Rosalind. She kissed me." He reached up to brush a lock of my hair behind my ear, his eyes tracking the movement. "I've only ever had eyes for you."

I scoff, rolling my eyes. "I'm sure all the ladies swoon at such a line, Demetrius Elsher."

He laughs, tucking me under his chin. "I've never said that to anyone else, Vi. My romantic lines will forever only be for you."

The memory washes over me, bringing a nostalgic smile to my face. That was such a special day. If only I knew back then where I'd be now. Sure we've had our ups and downs — Demetrius told me he never wanted to see me again once — but here we are. Married. In love.

An elated laugh escapes me. I'm happier than I ever have been. Free too. I haven't heard from Father since before the wedding. Same with Freya. I thought for sure they'd be on my back all the time.

The door to the balcony opens, and I turn with a smile.

"I wondered when you'd—" my smile drops when I see Father standing before me. "Father."

His face is colder than I've ever seen it. "You never thought to tell me your husband has one of these?" He asks, holding up a little pin just like the ones that he had me steal from the Nobles.

"I've never seen him with it."

"Don't lie to me girl!" Father snaps, stepping towards me. I move back on instinct, brushing the rail of the balcony.

"I'm not lying! Demetrius has never worn it around me."

"Don't tell me you haven't seen it laying around." He's back to being icy.

"I don't look through his stuff, if that's what you're asking."

Father shakes his head, his hands curling into fists. Never a good sign. "I taught you better."

"I trust Demetrius, and he trusts me. I'm not going to do anything to ruin that."

"You know the punishment for disobedience," he warns, reaching into his pocket.

"And you should know that laying so much as a finger on me is as good as declaring war." I lift my chin, trying to channel queenliness. He is beneath me now.

Father laughs. He actually laughs. "You really think your boy King can protect you? I have connections he can't even begin to imagine. He's nothing compared to me."

"I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you," I try say coolly, but a slight tremor betrays my confidence.

"Looks like you still have lessons to learn," Father growls, pulling out his whip and giving it a snap. "When I'm done you'll remember your place."

"I am a Queen. Don't touch me."

Father tsks, stepping closer and letting the whip flick my neck. I flinch, and he does it again.

"I am still your father no matter your title. Don't forget it."

He lashes out with the whip once again, repeatedly hitting me over and over again. My legs give out sooner than expected. Half of me wishes Demetrius would swoop in and rescue me while the other is grateful he doesn't have to see me like this.

"Now, do not disobey me again, daughter. Next time I won't be so merciful," he spits. Thankfully, he disappears within the next moment.

I lay on the floor of the balcony, gasping for breath. We were wrong. I'll never escape my father until he's returned to Deimos.