Chapter 11 Present Day

"What did you you do!"

My hands flew to my hair, the movement pulling at my bandages and cuts.

Joshua held up the hair tie, which was now cut in half, and raised an eyebrow at me.  "Got this out."

Then I realized my hair - all of my hair - was loose and tumbling down my back. Sagging with relief, I leaned back on the counter.  "Okay.  Let's get this over with."

He began helping me discard my wet and dirty clothing.  His demeanor was business-like, expression blank, even as he clenched his jaw so tight his teeth might crack.  His composure wavered when he uncovered my bruised and bloody knees that I had failed to let the paramedics mend.  But it was when he saw the fingertip-shaped marks on each of my shoulders, some of them bandaged and still bleeding a little, that he let out a string of vile curses with fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. 

"I hope they find him," he seethed.  "So I can kill him."

"Me first."

His eyes darted away from the wounds to meet mine.  "Has he hurt you before? When you were with him?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, becoming too aware that I was only in my bra and panties, I shook my head.

He accepted that for the moment and studied the rest of my injuries.  The growing knot on my head was probably the worst one, shoulders and hands the next severe.  My knees looked worse than they were, the blood having been smeared by movement and water.  They had been scraped up worse during soccer games.  When his eyes returned to my face, he reached to finish his task but then paused to gauge my reaction.

I gave a jerk of my chin and turned away from him to face the shower.  He was just as careful removing my bra and panties as he had been with the rest. The second he was finished, I lunged forward, jumping in the shower and slamming the door behind me.  There was enough steam that the glass was completely fogged and allowed me a moderate amount of privacy.  His blurred silhouette stood very close, though, ready to help if necessary.

Steam enveloped me, easing some of my aches and relaxing me at a startling rate.  I let the water cascade over me, watching the blood-tinged water swirl toward the drain, creating mesmerizing patterns that I couldn't seem to break my gaze from.  My bandages became water-logged and soon joined the swirling dance near the drain. 

When the water first hit directly on the exposed nail marks on my shoulder, the pain was immediate and sharp, a chain reaction starting throughout my body as if all my injuries were awoken simultaneously.  Waves of nausea piggybacked on the pain and I whimpered, bracing my hands on the tiled wall as my head dropped, eyes shut, fighting with the onslaught of sensations.

Do NOT puke in the shower. 

"Joshua," I croaked.  "Help."

His arms were around me, offering a steadying embrace before I barely got the last word out.  And he had managed to strip to just his boxer briefs and t-shirt as if knowing I'd need his assistance at some point.  Ever aware of my injuries, he slowly turned me to face him, eyes staying on my face.

I didn't care if he sneaked a peek at the goods. He'd seen it all before. But the gesture was still appreciated.

My voice was still rough when I whispered, "How'd you know?"

"Know what?"

"What had happened to me?"

"We saw Noah at the gas station and pulled in to talk to him.  A few officers were there, talking about the call that had come in about you being attacked."  Taking small steps forward, he positioned me under the water again.  "As soon as Mark forced them to confirm it was your address, we all came running."