Chapter 34: Present Day

Walker opened the door and helped me exit, Noah quick to follow and offer his arm to escort me inside. Joshua kept his distance, following behind us, as did Walker. The brisk cold was just enough to calm my aching body and help my mind refocus on the evening ahead. As we approached, I could see through the windows that the launch was already in full swing, the small gallery filled with people. As we entered, a young man popped up from nowhere to take my wrap. Walker was suddenly there, blocking the poor guy's path with his massive body, holding his hand out to collide with his chest.

"Stay back," Walker warned.

The boy held up his hands in surrender. "I was just going to take her things to coat check," he squeaked.

Walker gave him a quick dip of the chin and he handed me a ticket number and ran away before I could thank him.

"Please, let's not scare all the employees away." Noah sighed, grabbing champagne off a tray from one of the catering staff members as she walked by.

"He's doing his job."

The sound of Mark's voice soothed the nerves inside me. I hadn't completely realized they were even there.

His scowl surprised me as I turned to smile at him.

Then Joshua cursed as he took in the back of my dress.

"What in God's name do you think you're doing wearing that?" Mark stepped close to tower over me, his voice low and full of warning.

"Looking amazing, that's what."

His eyes narrowed in on the high slit in the dress, my leg peeking out as I cocked a hip. "Are you wearing anything under that?"

"She isn't." Joshua drained his champagne in one gulp.

Mark closed the few inches of space between us. The heat from his body erased the last of the chill from outside. It was pure instinct to press my body into his, and he bared his teeth with a low growl.

"Everyone's eyes are on you, wanting you and wishing they could have what that dress hardly covers."

My smile was coy. "So then your men should have no problem keeping their eyes on me all night."

"You think Joshua's punishments are bad. Just you wait."

Noah took my arm when Mark stalked away, steering me into the crowd and further from the entrance. He hadn't been lying. Everyone's eyes were on me. I doubted they were all thinking illicit thoughts about me. Some were obviously curious who I was or if they already knew that, seemed interested in how Noah kept his arm around my waist, holding me close while we maneuvered by. Noah and Joshua nodded and smiled, greeting a few people by name but did not stop to make introductions.

As they directed me to the back of the gallery, where the crowd was thinnest, I allowed myself time to scan the room and get a quick inventory of my surroundings. The gallery was clean and crisp, with exposed brick walls, high unfinished ceilings, and gleaming hardwood floors. Interior white walls separated groupings of paintings, all illuminated under the bright track lighting that encircled the entire room. A few of the people in attendance were from the office and most of the others I didn't recognize. Thad spotted us as he chatted with a couple near the back corner of the room and raised his glass in greeting. I gave a demur nod in his direction, noticing his eyes lingered on me longer than needed.

"I was prepared to endure watching him flirt with you for at least a small part of the evening but didn't realize it would begin so soon," Noah grumbled from my side, taking a rather large sip of his champagne.

"A little flirting won't hurt anyone."

Joshua glared. "Just make sure he knows that's all it is."

I cocked my head up at him. "Don't be jealous, boys. You're the only ones that will be making me come before we leave here tonight."