Chapter 33: Present Day

I was giddy with excitement as I finished getting ready, fastening my simple diamond drop earrings and giving myself one more look in the mirror. The dress I found for tonight night was killer. I felt sexier than I ever had in my entire life, and the thought of the boy's reaction when they saw me was causing me to ache in all the right places. The black gown was nothing complicated, form-fitting above the waist with a lace-detailed bodice and sleeves, a high straight neckline, and a side slit up to my mid-thigh in the flowing skirt. From the front, it was quite demur. The fact that it was totally backless, with lace and rhinestone details bringing attention to where it dipped to just above my ass, was what I was betting all my newly acquired assets would bring my men to their knees.

The day started off with less-than-exciting house calls from the financial advisor and bank manager, accompanied by John. I yawned my way through Mr.Hannigan's, or Russell, as he preferred to be called, explanation of the general performance of Riley's investment portfolios and overview of my brother's investment objectives. I agreed with all of it, I saw no reason to change anything. The bank manager, whose name I forgot the second he told me, went over the checking and savings accounts, the CDs, and the credit card. I had to sign my name another thousand times for each of them and then it was done.

I was officially a millionaire.

This is exactly what it felt like when a small army showed up soon after with arms full of dresses, shoes, lingerie, makeup, accessories, and bags and bags of other clothes. I went full-force shopaholic for the whole afternoon. I drank champagne and laughed and even danced a little through piles of taffeta, lace, and silk. I ooh'd and aah'd my way through diamonds and gold jewelry. My hair was trimmed and treated while I received a mani/pedi. I got to pick out a whole case full of new makeup and skin care products. Did I pick just one shoe to go with the dress? Absolutely not. I kept every pair that fit me. Same with all the lingerie.

It was a dream come true.

I was a princess.

I was a movie star.

I made up my own montage music as I modeled one outfit after the next.

But none of it would compare to seeing Noah, Joshua, and Mark tonight. And show them the surprise I had for them.

They had been gone all day, Mark being the first to disentangle himself from me this morning. He snuck away for his workout without waking me and I only stirred a little when he had kissed my cheek, whispering he loved me before leaving for work.

Joshua and Noah lounged with me longer than they should have, letting me sleep in as long as possible until Noah got a call about an issue regarding tonight's event. He had left very grumpy and cursing Joshua for being able to stay with me longer than he was able to. Joshua only laughed and held me tighter, throwing his leg over my hip and burying us under the comforter.

The "issue" was that the caterer, who had been booked months in advance, had a kitchen fire overnight that destroyed most of their property. Amongst the chaos of trying to corral his event managers and keep them from freaking out, Noah had called to let me know he may not make it home before the gallery opening. Then he called Joshua in. I think he just wanted some backup... and someone to bring him his tux.

The door slammed shut downstairs just as I was grabbing my heels. That all too familiar flutter began in my stomach. Steps thundered in my ears as he ascended the stairs. I'd just gotten on my first shoe and had my foot propped on the chair, fastening the strap on the second when he entered the room. The slit had caused the dress to fall away and expose almost my entire leg to whichever one would appear in my doorway, as well as the surprise I had intended on showing them later that night.