Yadani (80s) - Tiefling Bard

"Oh look at you, my dear, you're practically skin and bone! Not at all good for having a baby." Cecilia's mother announced.

"You two really need to hurry, you're not getting any younger." Kurt's father muttered to him.

"Y'know I struggled conceiving with my third baby, but it all just depends on you being active enough."

"You two are still trying right? You gotta try at least once every night to make sure."

"Are you sure he can even give you a baby?"

"Are you sure she can even have a child?"

And they weren't the only ones. Every family gathering that the two went to, it was always "Babies! Babies! Babies!" and nothing else. Their families didn't care that they were still fairly young, it wasn't an excuse. Cecilia and Kurt were the only children of each family that hadn't had children of their own yet. They both had begun to wonder if they couldn't conceive, but were too afraid to say it to their families. They could barely begin to imagine what they would say.

Cecilia was a fairly tall woman with long blonde hair, and grey-blue eyes. She had a kind face and soft hands, the ideal image someone could picture in their heads when thinking of a mother figure. Kurt, her beloved husband, was a few inches shorter, a slightly stocky build, short stubble on his face, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He had a cheesy, contagious smile and despite being a fairly strong man, he was always gentle and sweet. The perfect kind of man to be a father.

The couple were starting to be driven mad with all the talk about them giving their parents a grandchild. Kurt's parents would constantly say that he doesn't try enough and isn't masculine enough with his woman. Cecilia's parents would constantly berate her for the things she eats, saying that the women in their family only had certain things when they were trying.

Their families acted like Kurt and Cecilia hadn't been trying for years. They did want to have at least one child, they wanted a lovely little family in their quiet town. Despite their families upsetting them so much about the topic, they still wanted it. They wanted their own child to love, nurture, and protect.

And they wanted their families to leave them alone. To give them some peace and quiet for once and stop being so grossly invested in their love life.

Eventually, as if the angels in heaven themselves were listening, Cecilia had finally taken a pregnancy test that showed two lines. She took another. Two lines. And another. Two lines. As soon as Kurt came home from work, she showed him, and the pair were overjoyed. The two held each other on the bathroom floor and wept with happiness.

But not all was as it seemed. And it definitely wasn't angels watching.

~~~

"Kurt. We need to go to hospital right now."

"Wait what? Why? Is everything okay?"

"I don't think so. My water broke but I think something is wrong, we have to go now."

"Oh my- okay, I uh- bag! One moment!"

Kurt ran through the house packing everything they would possibly need, snacks, water, blankets, tissues, mouthwash, wet wipes, keys, and their wallets. The two rushed to the car and drove to the ambulance, Cecilia's eyes overflowing with tears as she held her bump like it was made of glass.

"It's okay, it's okay, it will all be fine. I'll protect both of you, everything is okay, I love you so much."

"Please hurry, I love you too, I'm so scared."

"I know, me too, but we're almost there, I promise."

"It doesn't feel right, Kurt, something is wrong."