𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒

        Many worlds ago, I was just like them... frail and weak. Unable to obtain the power to protect those I loved and cherished. I was just a child back then. How could I ever have hoped to be able to protect those who mattered most to me? Yet... now that I have this power, I can't even remember what their faces looked like anymore. How many eons has it been since I was a child? Too many for me to even bother keeping track of anymore, most likely. A childish voice calls out the name these beings of this world have given me. A little girl runs up to my leg, her older sister or mother not too far behind her.

"Miss Guardian Deity!" She shouts excitedly. The older woman behind her shoots me a sheepish grin.

"I'm so sorry for her, Madam. Our mother just recently told her a story about some of your exploits and she couldn't help but want to hear more about them from you personally." I gave the older girl a small grin and waved my hand.

"It's no big deal at all. I would love to share the experiences I've faced with the both of you, if that's alright." The little girl was practically buzzing with excitement as I told her tales of the stars and heavens above. About how there's multitudes of worlds out there just waiting to be explored. As I journeyed through the stars of this universe, I eventually found and settled on this world for a spell. I broke bread with her people, and in turn, they welcomed me with open arms. To thank them for their kindness, I promised to stay and watch over their people and protect them from any and all harm. While I'm alive, this world will never know the true meaning of death and chaos.

"What about your world, miss? Do you have a home?" The little girl asks. My eyes widened. I wasn't expecting the little one to be so interested in my past. Yet, it's a good thing to be curious, especially as a child. I sighed, the light in my eyes slightly dimming at the mention of my home.

"My world..." The older girl frowns, noticing the hesitation.

"Lily, we shouldn't pry into the Guardian Deity's past. There are some things some wouldn't like to remember." The little girl, Lily, frowns sadly.

"Oh... I'm sorry Miss Guardian Deity..." I chuckled, smiling softly at her.

"It's not your fault. You were just curious! My world... I unfortunately can't remember much about my world. It comes with this... blessing... I received from a higher plane of existence. It was my reward for surviving in a place I should have died in. As such, I can never die due to old age and I forever stay the way I was the day I was blessed." I explained to the girls. The little girl frowns, and I tilt my head at her.

"Why are you sad, little one?" I ask. She looks down at the ground.

"Miss Guardian Deity had a sad look on her face when she was explaining her blessing... You'll outlive us all, won't you?" I sighed softly and knelt down, placing a hand on the little girl's shoulder.

"While it may be true that I'll one day outlive all life in this world, that will never take away from the truth that I will make sure that your lives in this world will be peaceful, always. I won't let what happened to my world happen to yours. I promise you that." The little girl cheered up with a nod.

"I know! Miss Guardian Deity never goes back on her promises!"

Static fills the memory. The sunlight dies as the world falls to darkness. Not a soul is left in this world.

"I... I failed..." The broken remnants of the world I once watched over and swore to protect...

"It's all... They're all gone."