Chapter 2

Chapter Text

-/-

"So what exactly are we looking for and what makes you think we will find it...here?" The doubt in Osgood's tone was audible and even the most emotionally illiterate person would have picked up on the nervousness in her voice. Yet Osgood was beginning to suspect that Missy wasn't illiterate she simply didn't think it mattered that her companion was uncomfortable.

In fact Osgood was starting to think Seb had the right idea when he gleefully abandoned them at the first sight of a gentleman's tailors and Osgood loathed shopping. Naively Osgood had thought that accompanying Missy to whatever alien hardware store the time lady had in mind would be far more interesting. The opportunity to pick and poke through alien tech after weeks with nothing more technical to operate than the kettle had obvious appeal to the UNIT scientist.

At first Osgood had simply been too caught up trying to look at everything to realise they were consistently heading down.

They had long since left the wide well lit streets of the city behind, descending down narrow and crowded service elevators until even these conveniences gave out and they were left navigating a winding metal staircase that seemed to burrow down into the bowels of the earth; occasional tunnels branching off leading to poorly lit streets along which people rushed with their heads down, no talking or eye contact. It reminded Osgood of the winding tunnels of the underground, only dirtier if that were possible and populated by aliens.

"Missy?" Osgood prompted drawing closer to her guide afraid that they might be separated as they turned off of the staircase into a particularly busy tunnel. "How do you even know you are going in the right direction?"

"Because I do." Missy chastised her companion her blue eyes darting about as she assessed potential threats.

Their presence here was drawing attention, not overt but Missy could still feel interested eyes looking them over and lingering. They stuck out, two lone females, clean, well fed and at least in her case well dressed...there was only so much that could be done with Skip's wardrobe. The Mistress had forgotten what it was to seem harmless, for so long her outward appearance had looked sinister if not visibly threatening and people avoided her. It was almost amusing to have other people mistake her for prey.

Already there was someone following them, a street rat, not a threat in itself but these begging children made their living by reporting to the people who were and Missy was not looking for a confrontation; she was quite attached to this form with its high cheekbones and elegant posture. If she had realised the advantages of being female The Mistress would have made the change regenerations ago, even if it was simply just to enjoy making The Doctor squirm.

He was attracted to her but his pride simply wouldn't allow him to admit it...by The Other it was going to be delightful stripping him of all his illusions and defences.

The thought of The Doctor brought a smirk to Missy's lips, the poor lamb was probably already trying to track her down, he was so adorably predictable that way. She really should take the time to put some effort into laying down some false trails for him, send him off to visit some interesting planets...maybe the Siocians who with their standard greeting of hugging all new acquaintances spontaneously upon introduction The Doctor was bound to have a delightful time on that planet.

Sniggering to herself as Missy visualised The Doctors reaction, this version of him was so delightfully prickly, such a relief after the practically gigolo behaviour displayed by his last two regenerations. After all The Mistress had her own projects to attend to, she couldn't be wasting time fending off the excessive females that seemed to fling themselves at The Doctor's pretty young bodies. It was a relief that his mongrel of a wife had removed herself from the picture otherwise Missy would have been forced to eliminate her herself and she doubted that would make her task in winning The Doctor to her side any easier...a dead spouse tended to upset some people...