Chapter 14

Chapter Text

-/-

Seb's first clue that something was wrong came when the blue skinned Trasken girl suddenly stopped dead in front of him. Unfortunately this frail flesh form he was trapped in lacked the dexterity of Dr Chang's and Seb all but stumbled into her pain jarring up his fragile limbs.

"Move." It wasn't a request punctuated as it was with a rough shove from the armed guard that sent Seb reeling and yet still the trembling girl refused to move; refused to step through into what looked like a rather ornate room with loungers and a deep pool in the middle.

Unable to make out what was so terrifying about what looked like a private spa room not a dungeon filled with implements of torture Seb tried his best to coax her into moving forward yet still the stubborn girl refused to move, her trembling now descending into barely suppressed sobs as she literally shook.

"No...No...Please..."

"Move!" This command was punctuated with a blow across the shoulder with the heavy stick the guard was carrying, but still the girl remained frozen in terror preferring the physical violence to what awaited her in that room.

There was no second warning from the guard a second blow from his heavy cosh he was wielding across the back of head had the girl slump to the floor insensible. Either knocked out or dead Seb didn't know for sure and he stood transfixed unable to tear his eyes away from her slumped body or the rapidly pooling puddle of midnight blue blood that was gathering beneath her.

In all his years in the Nethersphere Seb had become somewhat immune to death as a concept.

After all it was something that happened to humans and he just had to deal with the aftermath. It had become something of a game after a while, like the way human's collected a set of cards or an album of stickers, he collected of all the bizarre ways humans managed to find to die. The more unusual the better in Seb's opinion as he had far too many heart attacks or road accident swapz and no one to pass them on to, not even The Mistress was interested in playing along as she was only interested in the humans who died for or because of the Doctor.

Only it was a little different seeing someone die in front of you, to hear it, to smell it.

Blood smelt, Seb hadn't realised that and it was doing strange things to his stomach.

The guards released the dead or dying girl from the chain gang of slaves leaving her cooling body on the floor and forcing the remaining slaves to simply step over her. Unable to lift his ancient feet high enough Seb was unable to avoid stepping and slipping in the girls blood, scrambling for anything to stop him falling Seb could only watch in horror as his ancient body crumpled to the floor. The jarring sensation of pain as his limbs connected heavily with the hard ground and the stomach churning sensation as the gluttonous cooling blood seeped over his fingers and stained his already vile slave uniform dark.

Scrambling for purchase Seb somehow got to his feet before one of the guards decided to beat him bloody as well. Staggering forward he followed the rest of the reluctant slaves into the spa room. It was only when he was inside that the reason for the dead girl's reluctance became more obvious. Hanging over the pool was a makeshift hanging mechanism, akin to the dipping stools humans once used to torture innocent women accused of witchcraft. Yet it was the creature contained inside, bound to the seat that really drew Seb's attention...

That couldn't be...Even in this ancient form Seb could feel his cheeks beginning to burn only he wasn't sure if it was in anger or...Osgood! Even now that bloody human had to somehow make it about her.

"Excellent the entertainment has arrived." A familiar sneering voice pronounced, only it wasn't the particular condescension Seb had been hoping for, and he tried his best to shuffle behind one of the bigger slaves lest the odious little Mentor Sil caught sight of him.