Chapter 5

-/-

Now this was heaven.

Turning this way and that Seb admired his reflection in the 180 degree mirrors that surrounded him. The tailored suit fitted his new body perfectly and Seb couldn't resist running his hands over the slightly silky fabric, the reflective sheen was of the result of the Maldorian spider silk that had been added to the wool mix. On his tall youthful frame with his dark colouring the grey suit was a perfect fit and Seb preened slightly under the attention.

Already he had met such nice people in the gentleman's outfitters, the talented and kindly owner and the amusing older gentleman who had appeared at some point during his fitting and had spent considerable time helping Seb to pick out the things that would suit him best. Let The Mistress waste her time trying to educate that intellectually stumped ape she insisted on dragging along with them. Seb didn't care...he didn't need Osgood's help or The Mistress's approval...he had found new friends, friends who appreciated him and didn't seem to mind that he currently didn't have the money to pay for his purchases.

There were other means by which he could compensate them apparently.

Money such a very human concept that Seb had been quite confused at first until his new friends had explained things to him, people were paid in exchange for their work, a novel idea that had Seb smarting over the fact that The Mistress owed him years of back pay in exchange for his never ending servitude on the Nethersphere. Yet Seb doubted he would receive a single credit from her. Still at least he had gotten his own body out of it and Seb suspected that would be payment enough in The Mistress's eyes. She had never truly appreciated everything that he had done for her.

Who else could have kept a data server full of billions of disorderly human minds in order?

Could have managed and processed their transition into the Nethersphere and their transformation into the required format for cyber conversion?

Not The Mistress...well she could have but she wouldn't that was what she had built him for after all, she only bothered to deal with things in person when it came to people that had met him...The Doctor...the only other constant in Seb's existence had been the other timelord.

Not that The Doctor had any knowledge of it of course but Seb had been watching The Doctor's timeline since the time of his creation and with The Mistress travelling up and down The Doctor's timeline collecting her souvenirs that was a lot of life to process. Back when he had been a simple A.I. interface Seb had risen to the challenge of dealing with the chaotic fallout of The Doctor's adventures, it had been a different challenge to the routine of the Nethersphere, and over time as his programme developed in complexity and absorbed the nuances from interacting with humans over the centuries he had begun to look forward to it.

In some ways Seb found himself missing his voyeuristic viewing of The Doctor's adventures. He had naively assumed that traveling in the Tardis with The Mistress would be similar, yet after a month drifting in the time vortex with not even the minutia of running the Nethersphere to keep him busy Seb had discovered the worst facet of being human...boredom... Only tormenting Osgood had brought him any relief and that was a sure sign of how low things had sunk.

It was so nice to be off of the Tardis.

It was so nice that somebody appreciated him for a change, paid him attention and valued him...

"If you will just press your thumb here that will make everything legal and above board?" The tailor spoke up startling Seb who had for a moment been so engrossed that he had quite forgotten he wasn't alone. "The contract is quite straightforward an exchange of labour in payment for the goods."