1

The birds were chirping in their melodic voice as the gentle breeze passed through the curtains while the sun was at the horizon, ready to rise, giving a beautiful ombre effect.

Half the world seemed to be asleep, busy with their dreamland. While the other half seemed to be up and ready to start the day, aware of the brutual reality.

Reality of hardworking, reality of how no one can survive a day in the world without doing some kind of work.

Even the thieves had to go out for stealing.

Nobody in the world was concealed from the reality.

Bondita woke up quite early, or rather barely slept. But it wasn't anything new.

Sleep hardly came to her at nights, thoughts keeping her up all nights.

She took a bath and descended downstairs to start the preparations for puja and breakfast.

Koyeli was a bit surprised to see bondita up so early, as she wasn't used to see her up at before the dusk. All she knew was her chhoti bahurani ji loved to sleep.

What she didn't know was that now that wasn't the case. It had became a normal occurrence for bondita to wake up so early, she just didn't come out of her room before time.

But today, bondita was suffocating inside the four walls of her room, as if the walls were closing up on her ready to consume her.

"Malkin? Are you alright?" Koyeli asked, trying to hide her surprise but failed.

Bondita put on a smile as she answered,

"Yes koyeli di. I'm alright, why you're asking?"

Her hands were gently arranging the flowers on the puja ki thaal.

"No..actually you woke up quite early today." Koyeli hesitantly answered.

"Don't be hesitant. I'm surprised too." She wasn't.

"I don't know...I wasn't feeling so sleepy today." She said, shrugging.

Koyeli just nodded and continued doing her work.

Soon, it was time for the morning puja. Trilochan Roy Choudhary came downstairs in all his zameendar glory, his head held high with pride.

"Are bahu...you've done everything already?" He asked, pleased with his pyari bahu.

"Yes, kakasasurji." Bondita replied, smiling softly.

"Okay. Start the puja now. I know those idiots won't come for the Aarti." He said, twisting his mouth at his idiot nephews.

He believed his nephews to be sloths, even the sloths were better than his sleepy nephews.

"But wait, where is badi bahu?" He asked.

"I'm here jeth ji." Said a hurrying sampoorna, smiling sheepishly.

"What happened badi bahu? You're late today?" He asked genuinely.

A deep red color coated her cheeks as she replied,

"Uh- jeth ji actually I woke up late. So.."

Trilochan nodded in response, somehow understanding what she meant.

"Start the Aarti bahu." He told bondita.

Bondita nodded as the Aarti started. After Aarti, bondita distributed the auspicious smoke of Aarti throughout the haveli.

"Bahuuu...go and wake up that sloth of your pati babu. Or he would be sleeping for the whole day." Trilochan shouted from the living room as bondita set the arti ki thaal back at it's place.