7

Bondita was in her room, folding her clothes when there was a knock on the open door of her room.

She looked up to find sampoorna standing there.

"Sampoorna didi?" She called out.

Bondita didn't always call sampoorna Maa and it was okay with sampoorna. Infact, sampoorna was the one to tell bondita not to call her Maa.

But bondita would refuse everytime saying, sampoorna had married her sasurji and hence was her mother-in-law.

"Hmm...shall I come in?" Sampoorna asked.

"Ofcourse, come in." Bondita replied, moving away from the clothes and towards sampoorna.

Sampoorna nodded as she stepped in and sat on the edge of the bed. She looked at bondita and patted at the place beside herself, telling her to sit.

Bondita got the cue and sat down beside her.

"So...suddenly here?" Bondita asked.

"Why? Am I not allowed here?" Sampoorna joked with a chuckle.

"No no, you are. It's just that—"

"Bondita...how are you?" Sampoorna gently cut off her words as she noticed the slight panick in her voice.

Bondita looked at sampoorna in slight confusion, as was she in her room just to ask her this?

"I...I am good, didi.."

"Really? You are..?" Sampoorna asked, as she looked into her eyes.

Bondita couldn't meet sampoorna's eyes and let them drop down to her lap.

"Yes, didi. I am." She told with certainty.

Anyone in the place of sampoorna would have believed her word but sampoorna? No.

"Then look into my eyes, and repeat that." Sampoorna almost ordered, as she tilted her head to look into bondita's eyes.

Bondita glanced at her eyes and then back to her lap. She closed her eyes for a moment, and then opened them to meet with sampoorna's.

"I'm fine, didi."

This. This certainty in her voice. Sampoorna wanted to believe her words so bad, so so bad.

But she had a feeling, there was some lies in it. Bondita wasn't okay.

"You've grown up, bondita. So much.." She said, looking into bondita's eyes.

The way sampoorna said those words, it was as if she couldn't believe her small sister, who used to vent everything to her, had grown up. Grown up to face her problems herself. She no longer came to her to tell her problems.

Somehow, bondita understood what sampoorna meant, and the slight surprise in her voice.

"Everybody has to, someday.." Bondita said softly, as if she was the one who was consoling the other.

Sampoorna stared at her for a moment, really taking her in.

Yeah, she had grown up. No longer the small bondita who used to run to her, who used to need her help, who used to steal roshogullas.

She was different. So different.

Sampoorna gently took bondita's hand in hers, clasping them together.

"Do you remember...how we used to sit on the branches of trees? You looking out at the bull carts, waiting for roshogullas?"

Bondita was slight surprised at the sudden change in topic, but replied nevertheless.