Ένα (1)

~Love the way she walks
Love the way she speaks
Happy all along
Singing to this song~

         I had my earbuds in as I was gazing out of the window, my eyes counting each building we pass by. It was a normal drive like every day, including a clear, blue sky. I had same, boring schedule all year round. First: my house. Second: school. Third: home again. I wore a gray jacket with some sweatpants for the freezing weather. Today, instead, was the last day until winter break; it was cloudy and almost the end of 2023.

         "We're here," the bus driver announced as he slowed to a halt. I got up and was first to exit. I took each step one by one, viewing the old brick walls among the bright blue doors and pipes through my round glasses. They formed a distorted color combination at Crimson River High School. Here in Bakersfield, you will experience lots, and I meal lots of drama. Both girls and guys in relationships, a bunch of beef, subtle gossip, the every day usual for a 15-year-old.

Speaking of which, my loyal and number one best friend in the world: Puneet. It's been seven years as best friends with her. Just us, along with other small friends from some point. Even with some separation and arguments with others, she never left my side. A true, loyal friend. She came early enough to see me ten minutes before school.

"Hi," she greeted with a tired expression. She had on a black hoodie along with some light blue pants for the cold weather.

"Hey," I replied. Finally, someone that I actually wished to talk to. "We've got finals today. I've done an all-nighter for once."

"¿Trasnochaste?" she repeated back in Spanish. Her teachers and I taught her the language, which was an odd combination. She picked up on it like a machine. My friend knew up to three by now: English, Spanish, and her mother tongue called "Punjabi." I wish I knew the third one, but it was difficult as I heard her try to teach once. "You know, your classes are way easier than I thought. Up to the point I'm almost jealous. I had to suffer from endless homework and torture. You see these eyes?" She pointed underneath her dark brown eyes with two fingers. There were almost gray and sleepless. "I barely got any rest. This is the result of Honors and Geometry."

"You know how much we risk to get good jobs, universities, and lives," I answered. "Actually, cut out the 'life' part. We're not gonna have a perfect one anyway." We laughed it off while walking together to World History. It was the fifth exam out of the eight we have to take. The door was open, revealing the teacher examining our papers word by word, letter by letter. Mr. Granger likely had OCD, given the many failed tests he awarded the class.

The bell suddenly rang, meaning Puneet had to leave. She glanced and addressed her dismissal to her "Geo-Robo" class, forgetting the real name. I did not want to be left alone with the loud girls applying ten pounds of makeup or the unhygienic athletic guys that likely haven't showered for days.

"Alright, class. Come on in," Mr. Granger insisted as he came outside to take us. I discarded my earbuds into my backpack, entering the wide-scaled classroom. It had the stereotypical wooden desks every high school had, along with dark blue chairs and the three holes in the middle. The holes. A girl's worst nightmare (if you know what I mean). It was going to be a living hell.

———————————————————————————

12:00. I finally reached halfway of the school day. It was basically child labor. Memorizing the dates of every war, the names of all the leaders in power, and crappy quality photos of countries from the internet to test our geography. My sixth had to be Spanish III. I managed to know most of it as my roots traced back to Mexico, where my mother was from. However, it was way different than the type I spoke at home. Double-Object Pronouns, every single tense, and others that matched up to these. As I ran out for freedom to escape from that class, I found a familiar face, the girl Puneet and I met last year.