Δεκαπέντε (15)

I thought my eyes lied from the distance. She couldn't handle that much blood from a person. Her terribly painful face. The agony.

By the left corner, I caught Haemon, watching Kayla and Eli as they left for the side. I wanted to reach over, to assure her and fix her. But with Eli, and whatever mingled between them, it wasn't feasible.

Everyone resumed with a random partner. They didn't even give heed to what happened moments ago. Most of the time, they divided into two sides: girls against girls, boys against boys. It was some form of equality and fairness, but I was left alone. There was no one else to fight. Not even Wendy or anyone else.

I was not sure of their juxtapose rulings, but I knew no one was going to accept us as their opponents. What was their fear? Why couldn't they fight us?

He plodded me to come over with his sword. I couldn't tell what he thought, but my stomach tingled and twisted from that command. Something malicious. Malevolent.

The Greater Pantheon were fighting with explosive beatings. Besides Orson and Felania, who were nowhere but found atop on their designated seats (hence Hestia's abstinence to war and violence), they fought with great agility and accuracy. Almost for hours and hours of practice, from weeks to months. A man in green attempted to wrap weeds around Kaique. Julianna and the girl in blue clashed with lightning and a bit of moist air, seemingly in more jocular motions rather than coarse militarism.

But most of all, Rowan. He chose against those not his level. Only to those like Ramses, who fought with fierce bow and arrows and he with a long-ended sword. Kyle supposedly opposed him, using only a pair of small knives, yet they were strung up with a long rope of some sort.

Cold sweat dripped through my forehead, drying along and swelling much heat and stickiness under this jet-black hood. The armor slid tightly along my leather sleeves with a lot more durability. I was pertaining invisibility, almost in a literal sense. No one gave attention. Except one.

At the slick moment, I felt a rippling of cloth against the back of my head. I was caught against one worthy opponent. She came at a rifling pace, closing in on my arms. I dodged the tip of her tiny blades in the nick of time, backing my hands near my hips. There she was in the same gray as Kyle.

I couldn't remember her name, but they almost had alliterated style. Her helmet covered all but her expressive face, tucking her hazel ponytail inside. Her expression was one of impressive stamina. She had speed and skill. Experience. She threw the blade near my face, but as I saw the tip, I ducked and tried to defend with my sword. It twisted and entangled the pair of blades as she pulled against them. I attempted to resist, creating a tug-of-war between her and I. Glimpsing her face, she strived and grappled as we continued. I wrestled as well, using most of my might in this personal contest. She got down and tried a low kick underneath, yet with strong reflexes, I stepped to the left and pulled back my sword. They finally freed themselves, leaving light slits on my gloves. The blood scrapped off, too.

"Not done yet," she warned. She sprinted in a split second, grasping behind my neck, and tried to stab near it. I didn't have a helmet, which was probably the worst preparation for combat. I silently clenched my teeth, holding my left from her right, pushing against the shaking arm. I turned around, slicing the air as she jumped back. "Good, but not enough," she breathed.

In a bolting moment, strings of cloth and yellow threads caught against her arms and legs. She scuffled inside the twisted wraps and was thrown against another girl in violet, crashing and almost losing conscious from a fatal blow. I knew the minute she came with her metallic spear.

Tiana barged in, wheezing from the laborious move. "You alright?"

I slowly nodded. She glared at the gloves, then rose to my hidden face with a pained feeling. I wanted to remove them, but it would end in damage and wounds. No one else had them, but he never took them off. Not even clean them.