Είκοσι (20)

I couldn't function. Everyone turned into a blur, with bulges and lines of colors into my face. The clarity of sentences scrambled into nonsense, yet held bits of actual words. The more we advanced, the colder the air became. However, I felt more tolerant to the decreasing temperature.

    I need food, I need food. Those simple commands reprised. I looked up through the translucent eye-opening, barely seeing Haemon grab a miniature green fruit in his palm. I myself took a peek, finding the assorted buffet of fresh, needed nutrients. I found myself captivated by their appearance. Shiny. Appealing. I couldn't identify the shapes, but I tried to grab one at random: a golden-yellow sphere caged in my fingers.

     I took a leisurely bite. The juices splashed into the roof of my mouth, stung my tongue with savoring taste, and refreshed my sluggish self. Apricots. Like the ones in my family garden. Bloomed every spring. I had little amusement with the delicacy, until I heard-

     "Hey."

     Carefully, I turned behind and below. A lean girl in shimmering, sapphire blue passed by. Her short, coiled hair continued bouncing as she proceeded. She went over to Felania, handing over a few pieces of fruit in a medium bowl. Or is that a basket? It was hard to discern its form.

     I grabbed for more of the luscious bearings. After achieving a desired result, I ate, contemplating the past endeavors.

     Plus, the hellish event that occurred before going out into wintry air.

----------------------------------------------------------

     The dead, disgruntled body lunged towards the bed, aiming to attack me as I laid. I immediately rolled and scooted to the other side, getting up and away from the threat. Haemon diverted from the ongoing operation on the third body, turning to the headless corpse. Now, the distorted, tweaking behavior of the headless cadaver went insane, unable to view the room without a full head. It aimed for the other patron in the room's existence. It tramped and lunged without aim.

    It crashed into the side of the stone slab, the rush of red pouring down outside its chopped head. It laid without attempt getting up, an immobilized corpse.

     Was he still living? There was no sign.

     I stayed besides the edges of the gray-black bed, searching for a tool against that thing. Haemon leisurely stood over the twitching body, nothing in his grasp. The tiny, delicate knife laid next to the ceased, ongoing step. I desperately went to the tray, yet I waited--waited as the thing stopped. My hands lightly wrapped the tray's metallic edges, no harsh grip with the little strength.

     Snatch!

     I twisted. Shoot. I looked down, my hood falling to obscure and lower my view. The undetected corpse clutched his left leg, vigorous in tugging Haemon as he extended for a thin, needle-like item.

    It's gonna kill us. It was, unusually, some sort of test. Intentional or not, it was. Numerous weak spots were visible. Any vital hit, a vital trigger. Especially the heart. Hit the heart, kill it. Wait, we don't kill them, do we? They're already dead. If they're not dead, why are they here? They still live. Hold on. They- they don't-

     Thud! Haemon came with his back against the slab, pushing and wrestling the mortal body. In his right glove, a hint of light flickered on a fine line. He kicked the bleeding neck, staining his boots with ruby, dark gore.

     The body went into a weird position, the limbs revealing tissue and bone on the elbows. The legs bent onto its knees, hunching over as the hardened bones came visible. They sunk out more, the blood layering over the crooked yellowish-brown. We each held an object: Haemon with a sharp needle and I with a thin yet wide tray.