Επτά (7)

I was an assassin. As I fought with great agility and tactics, I ended up side-kicking Tiana's shield as hard as possible, placing all of my might to remove her defense. As she held it with her left forearm, it was unbearable to hold such weight that she ditched it. She diverted into offense as we engaged our weapons, almost creating dents and marks on the soft and hard beatings of cushions and metal. It was compared to increasing difficulty levels in video games, especially those with insane skill and talent. She caught her javelin into my shield's handle, forcefully turning it away from my torso.

     It was a bit complicated in utilizing a sword with zero experience, yet from each slice and swing, I apprehended its use fairly quickly. The handle spun my wrists with a lack of pain, guiding into every open area. Combined with the physical fighting capability, I knew the outcome. It was until Tiana jumped and held her stick behind with both hands, aiming for my unprotected shoulder as I placed my hand forward.

     I single-handedly gripped the base of her javelin and wrestled back and forth. The tip came dangerously close to my chest the more I drew it in. Each pull loosened Tiana's possession, decreasing our strength while dragging more dust upward from our shoes. With a hefty pull and a swing of my sword, I knocked the javelin out of her grasp, winning over the fight. I was about to give a good stab to the leg until she stepped out of the red line to dodge my fierce move.

     "Gosh!" she defeatedly exclaimed, "You're very strong and tactful when it comes to this. But with the patroness, you may have to do more than that," she commented.

     I turned and saw Kayla, agape and in shock. I may have gone a bit overboard with the fighting. She quickly ascended and put her hands on my shoulders, unsure if I was myself. In a moment of silence, staring into each other's eyes, I took slow breaths, waning my aggression. I felt slight relief, yet tired from the intensity of training. She reassured if I was alright and released her grip.

     "Why were you like that?" she asked with a creased face. That question held almost no answer as I had none. Why did I go that far? I could've severely injured her, even with all of that protection to not rip our throats off. I could've gone farther...

     Tiana came back after removing her armor and set her weapons against the wall. We gathered and checked for any fatal injuries, even if there was little to no chance of showing any.

     "When is the real thing?" I queried.

     "Around tomorrow," she answered with an unconcerned matter.

  Kayla included, "We just came today-"

     "We all had to fight the current patroness for the girls, and the patron for the boys."

     "Who were they supposed to fight?"

     "The previous patrons. They fought first with ease and had to challenge everyone for their position."

     "Why them?" I cut in.

     "Knowing Ares, the god of war, his patrons tend to be...belligerent, in a sense. And strong. Don't forget that part."

     "Yet Athena is based off of strategic war. So why not you or Milo?"

     "Never knew why. It's what the gods decided ever since."

     "How do you know they exist?" I suspected unconvincingly. They don't exist. Even with all of their unrealistic stories and messages, who created them? How are they created? Who created Chaos, the beginning, wherever it is out there? What was before the beginning? Before...

     "Then may you explain the ability of these portals, our powers, or Kyle's supersonic speed?"

     It was inevitable. I was not able to answer that difficult question of our purpose. How were they given these supernatural powers? Birth? Punishment? Those "gods"? Her formality and high propriety felt unnatural. Kayla likely spied it as well.