Δεκαεννιά (19)

I silently took a bite of an apple. Around the table with the floating food, they changed the variation of assortments. Somewhat like a three-meal sequence as we always had. What have the formers done? "What did you mean when you said we would repeat history?" I diverted to Eli.

He stared at the distance, sternly at the oncoming groups. "They said we serve this way for twenty years. They were our age and fought each other. Outside, they say they restore peace or some order among everyone."

"Then why was this-" I tried to search a word to illustrate our standards "-group made in the first place if no one liked each other?"

"They hide it," he lowered his voice. "Not even I know why. I was only here ever since we all came."

He only said with Tiana, Milo, and the patrons of Ares, they were deemed the most trustworthy. There weren't any other allies.

"Everyone but who you mentioned is basically an enemy?"

"Besides them...sure." He did not sound as if he were. "Just-"

I averted my attention to one of the girls, a white lace of cloth wrapped around an enchanted green. As if nature itself chose her colors. When Eli noticed, he abruptly told, "Hacen plantas y veneno."

She was approaching us, almost looking to forgot what I had done to her. In a few, striding steps, the garden girl came in front. With a mixture of hazel eyes, she said with a alarming rate, "You did this. On the first day of battle, you had to target me. An easy pawn since-"

"It was unintentional," I prompted. I felt slight bumps on my lightened skin, speckles of hair going up. This girl is suspicious of me.

She sighed. "We're in the Greater Pantheon." She eyed to Eli, giving a hard stare, unsure if it was meant as a warning, yet he turned unfazed as well as I. "Know your place, Kayla. You won't find who is or isn't your enemy." She grabbed a pile of a few red berries, sustaining eye contact with me.

"What are you pulling at?" Eli interrogated with an alerted span.

"I bid you both well in the upcoming death fights." In one single blink, the berries grew in size, growing stems and leaves from the tops. More of them sprouted and multiplied. "Isla," she recited. "At least we know each other now." She twisted and we saw another man, the same, natural tint as her. He bellowed her to come.

"To tell the truth, I hope your shoulder gets well, Isla," I said when her chestnut braid almost whipped my face as she walked away, eating the plump berries. Maybe she is ignorant of my true concerns. Her words repeated in my head: Know your place, Kayla.

"That's why," beckoned Eli. Anyone could betray you, backstab you, or kill you, which was an alternate and easier understanding.

I grabbed a piece of a strawberry, scanning its infinite seeds. "You haven't tried to get any more friends or something?" I inquired while taking a bite of the small fruit. "I know Tiana and I are a little close, but you don't...seem to-"

"Have anyone?" he broke off. He put his hands to the side and confuted: "Tengo muchos amigos en mi patria."

I cocked my head to the side. "Seguro?"

He listed a few of them down in about five (or seven?) seconds: "Luis, Marcelo, Isabelle, Jorge, Rina-" he counted on his fingers, "-cinco."

"Damn." I wouldn't know a guy like him had more than I thought. Or he was just a good liar.

"You?" he questioned now. "Solo ella?" He regarded the Patroness of Athena, conversing with the twins nearby the entrance. He proceeded towards them; a slight, magenta hue emitted from the ivory jacket and himself. I didn't even answer yet.