𝕊𝕊.𝟘𝟚 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕄𝕒𝕟 𝕀 𝕋𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕤 𝔸 𝔽𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕟𝕕 (ℍ𝕚𝕣𝕒𝕥𝕒 𝕐𝕠𝕤𝕦𝕜𝕖)

"Keisuke, what happened?" I fired. "I know you're aware of the reason. I don't trust that doctor one bit; you don't vomit blood just by eating something that doesn't go well with your stomach."

The black haired boy looked at me with what I assumed was a bit of an exasperated expression. "It's nothing, Yosuke. The doctor is right. It was definitely something I had eaten in the past few days. Darn that apple. I knew it had gone stale."

Even though Keisuke is incredibly good at spinning around his web of lies, this was too much for even him to hide.

Keisuke is hiding something from everyone. He's hiding something very important from all of us, and he's not willing to tell any of us what it is.

I've always found him to be a strange existence. But now, my suspicion has peaked beyond just 'strange'.

Besides, what exactly do we even classify as strange? Is there a set of rules to abide by when we say someone is 'strange'? Or is it just anyone who we think is different from us?

I don't know the answer myself. But given the moment and the scenario I was currently in, I couldn't help but wonder.

What is Keisuke hiding from us?

The more I thought about it, lesser the sense it made. There..... there doesn't seem anything off about him. My impression of Keisuke is that he's a top-notch honour student, with excellent leadership and athletic abilities.

In other words, Keisuke is probably what most students think about when they hear the word 'role-model student'.

So naturally, I didn't think much about his past and whereabouts when we became friends. All of that was secondary.

But now, it seems as though I need to start diving deeper into his personality and ambitions.

His real personality and ambitions.

I remember the one time during the starting of our Second Year, when I had ostracized myself from the Class after the Class S fiasco. I was not used to such harsh environments, I assume. I was still learning, and failing in the process was inevitable.

Keisuke was the one who brought me out of my misery. He was the one who helped me stand up on my feet, and see the dilemma in newer perspective.

And in that process, I had confided in him everything that I had held within me for so long — everything about my past, about my school..... about Sugiwara.

It was quite a heart-wrenching story. Most people don't want to hear about their school friend jumping off the classroom window in front of them. Obviously, I don't.

But Keisuke seemed so..... he seemed so nonchalant about the whole situation.

It wasn't the reaction I was expecting out of him.

I've never told many people about Sugiwara. The only person who knows this other than Keisuke is Karuizawa-san. But that's because Karuizawa had confided her past in me. So to make sure she doesn't feel like she's a burden, I told her mine.

 Keisuke..... he didn't feel that need, unlike me. He didn't feel the need to tell me about his past.

Is it really that private?

Is the information about his past so confidential, so scandalous, that he wouldn't even think about telling it to anybody?

I don't want to force him to tell me about his past. But the question really isn't about whether I should force him or not.

The question is about whether he trusts us enough or not. It seems like he doesn't tell anyone his secrets, because he doesn't trust anyone.

Keisuke doesn't trust anyone with his secrets, and that is why he keeps them to himself, locked away deep inside, rusting away alongside with him.

I always thought Keisuke was a close friend. And he is, for that matter. Keisuke is very close to me, and is a very important person. He's someone who's been beside me through thick and thin, and has supported me on every step of my way.

It wouldn't be an understatement to say that Keisuke has a been a major force in moulding me into the person I am today.

But what am I to him?

Have I been a good friend to him?

Am I someone who is a force to be reckoned with in Keisuke's life? Or am I just a stone in his path, upturned just for the fun of it?

I really don't have the words to describe this feeling that I am feeling right now. Is it anger? Is it hopelessness? Or is it something else, something that makes me look untrustworthy? Something that makes me look like there is a better person besides me?

I don't understand. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

Is it really the right thing, snooping around in Keisuke's private affairs, trying to find out what he's up to all the time, and why he pushes everyone close to him away?

I'm not the only one. Matsushita-san is in the same boat as I am. Even though she's his girlfriend, she doesn't seem to have any idea about Keisuke's doings either. She's in the dark, just as I am.

It makes me wonder whether this is some kind of sick game.

Am I his friend just for the heck of it?

Am I a 'superficial friend', who's around just so he doesn't feel lonely?

Are we 'pretend-friends'?

Is Keisuke..... really even my friend?

[ ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ]