Part Nineteen

JANE: "I'm not dumb. I'm just crazy." JAKE: "Right... Then, how come you aren't trying to kill me? I'm surprised after everything I've done to you." JANE: "If you think I've forgiven you... Maybe you're an idiot. But I don't hold grudges, so... Unless you try anything now, I won't be fighting anyone today."
JAKE: "That's fair. It's a pleasure to finally meet you then, Jane." JANE: "Oh, trust me. I knew who you were before you first laid your eyes on me." JAKE: "That's right. You're Little Miss Therapist. It's been a long time since our last session." I chuckled, but Aaron stayed serious. He did not like the nickname or the joke.
AARON: "Don't call her that." DAMION: "Sorry to interrupt... But we have business to attend to, so if we could all just chill and cool down the tension in this room." JANE: "I agree. Now get to your business and leave." Jake smirked and looked me up and down. JAKE: "I think I like this grown up version of you. What a badass. Kinda hot. If only you were 18."
JANE: "You wish I was 18. But it's not like age is an issue for you since you were trying to seduce me when I was 13." JAKE: "That's right. You beat me at an arm wrestle at the age of 13. Want a rematch?" AARON: "Hell no." JAKE: "Neither of you may realize, but Jane having this conversation with me means she has been flirting with me this whole time."
JANE: "Enough with the immature comments. Get to your business or get out." Jake winked at me and went back to where the bag was. Aaron was watching him like a hawk looking down on its next meal. I went to the laundry room and got my clothes, thankful to be able to change back into my own clothes.
I couldn't do anything to cover up my bruises and Jake was staring at them the entire meeting while I was sitting next to Aaron. I knew how much he wanted to know what happened, but that's a story he'll never hear. After the meeting, the group packed up all of the weapons back in the bag and set them in their car.
Apparently, the group was leaving. But Jake was staying. JAKE: "You know what, little brother? I think I might just stay here. What's better than a family reunion, huh?" JANE: "When the family reunion involved you... Literally anything is better." Aaron told Damion goodbye, and closed the door. AARON: "What did you say?" Jake smiled. JAKE: "I'm staying here for a while." Aaron looked at him, annoyed.
AARON: "What? Do you want us to cheer and throw you a welcome home party? I don't think so." I grabbed my phone, and walked towards the door. I think I'll let them be with their 'family reunion'. Aaron grabbed me before I could leave. AARON: "Oh, hell no. If he's staying in town, there's no way I'm letting you out of my sight." I looked at him confused, Jake did the same.
JANE: "So you want me to stay here? Where your brother is? I don't get it... How is that better?" AARON: "I don't care if he's here. But if you leave, I won't know if he will go after you, so yes, I want you to stay here." JANE: "For how long?" Aaron didn't answer. I guess he didn't know. But if he wanted me to stay here, then I guess I might as well.
JANE: "Fine. Then, I'll stay the night again. But you don't get to take my phone, I want to let my parents know." Jake laughed. JAKE: "You sure your parents will approve of you staying the night with your boyfriend?" JANE: "He's not my boyfriend." JAKE: "Who cares? It's not like you can go home anyway. I bet your parents would be so happy to see you like this, wouldn't they?" Jake was being sarcastic.
AARON: "Enough. Let her be." I wondered what we were going to do for the rest of the day. JANE: "So... What are we doing today?" Jake smirked. JAKE: "Well, I'm glad you asked-" AARON: "-No. You and I are going to go to your house and get you clothes and whatever you need to help with those cuts. Jake is going to be anywhere else but with us." JAKE: "Actually, we have to go talk with-" Aaron was getting angry at Jake, but I couldn't figure out what it was.
AARON: "-I said no! We're not going today with Jane! She doesn't need to know about that part of our business." I looked at them confused, slowly putting the pieces together. JANE: "What are you talking about? Aaron, what were you going to do after the meeting?" JAKE: "She should know. She's already seen most of it." AARON: "No. I'm not going, and that means she isn't either." JAKE: "You listen to my orders, remember?" I stepped back, letting them argue. I was carefully watching for any signs of extreme aggression. Just in case I would have to break up a fight.
AARON: "I said, I'm not going. Do what you want, but you know that you can't with Jane here." Jake looked at me and smirked. JAKE: "You bet I can. And you know what happens when you don't listen. But... I'm feeling generous today." Aaron and I looked at Jake, confused. JAKE: "I'll make a deal with you. You can take a day off of our work, but only for one thing in exchange." Aaron and I are both confused.
JANE: "What?" Jake looked down, and I knew exactly what he was staring at. The mark hidden behind the shirt I'm wearing. The mark Aaron made. JAKE: "Let me see that mark." Aaron got in front of me, keeping himself between me and Jake. He knew that Jake would not let this go until he gets what he wants. AARON: "Hell no." JAKE: "Oh, come on."
AARON: "You'll never get what you want." JAKE: "Maybe. But you know how this works, Aaron. You listen to my orders. And if you don't... You know what happens." AARON: "And you know what happened last time you tried to do anything to her. Wanna end up in jail again? I bet that's bad for business." Jake muttered something to himself. He was angry that he had lost this battle.
JAKE: "Fine, your loss. But this means you owe me." AARON: "Yeah, right. There's no way in hell I will ever be in debt to you. I know what you want, and you know that you're never going to get it." JAKE: "You never know. The things people are willing to do for someone they care about... You know how Jane takes that to a whole new level."
AARON: "She won't let you get what you want. You know that." JAKE: "So you're saying that she would put herself before you if it meant that she could keep herself away from me?" I realized what Jake meant. JANE: "I will never give myself up to you. I will never give you what you want, even if it kills me. But that doesn't mean that I will let Aaron suffer for my choice. So don't you ever say that I'll put myself before him. I would rather go to hell for taking you down then let you hurt him, or give you what you want. Got it?" Jake smiled as he gave me a dark look.
JAKE: "Is that a threat? You know, that's kind of attractive." I rolled my eyes. Aaron snarled at Jake. AARON: "Enough. She's not going to fall for it, Jake."