viii

(CIPHER'S POINT OF VIEW)

I sat on the couch, scrolling through my laptop for an outfit for the gala. I don't really have anything fancy to wear that fits the character that I had made up. Maybe I'm investing a little too much into this.

Harry barges through the front door, and I quickly try to catch his attention, "Harry, did you talk to Cobalt about going to my apartment?"

"No," he says shortly, almost mad. "I forgot."

"Okay," my voice fades.

I decided to find Niall and ask if he could take me. Harry seemed preoccupied with something. Maybe it was what he was taking about with Cobalt; he stayed at least an extra half hour after all of us left.

I wandered the downstairs first, since it's the only floor that I've been on. I have no reason to go to my room if it's just boxes. The next place was the basement, our own private gym.

Liam was there, of course. "Hey, do you know where Niall is?"

"Uh, no," he finishes his rep on the machine and rises. "Not exactly. I just know he went off property."

"Oh okay. Are you busy?"

"I could use a break," Liam nods. I could tell he was sweating. "Do you need something?"

"I was hoping to grab some clothes from my apartment. Not clean it out, but just enough to get me through until the movers go in and get everything," I explain.

"Absolutely!" Liam perks up, "Have you ran it by Cobalt yet?"

"No. Harry was supposed to but he forgot. He seems busy."

"That's alright. I'll shoot Boss a text and get showered off so we can go as soon as we get the ok."

"Thanks, Liam," I smile.

•••

My apartment was left still. It hadn't changed since the night I went to bed- my bed. I miss it. I have felt homesick in the moments where I'm not preoccupied.

"You're welcome to make yourself at home," I offer to Liam.

"Let me know if you need help."

I grabbed a few of the grocery bags that I had stored under my kitchen sink and went to my bedroom to start packing a few things. I grabbed the essentials as well as a swimsuit and formal outfit for whatever may come. In another bag, I packed one pair of sneakers, boots, and heels. It was a tough choice of just one of each to take. I also took my important documents, just because I felt weird leaving them here. It's a strange feeling to know I won't be back here for a while. I'm really just abandoning my apartment. Luckily I'd paid this month's rent

Apparently at some point, Cobalt will send some movers in to pack everything up and deliver it to the estate. Then I can sort through things there and decide what to do with my furniture. I'm sure I'll have to come back and see everything before then, but at least not for a few weeks.

Depending on whatever my room looks like, I may argue just to stay here. I don't entirely love having a shared space with four other guys that I don't know all too well.

I swung into my bathroom to get my toiletries. I feel gross having not brushed my teeth for going on two days now. I also grabbed what little makeup I had and my hair straightener.

I was in and out in less than twenty minutes.