xxix

"Where the hell were you guys?" Liam bursts out of the garage door as soon as we pull in.

"We... got lunch," I say nonchalantly.

"I've been worried you two got in trouble with Cobalt," Liam sighed. "He looked pissed when we left you two with him."

"Cobalt just had some security footage to go over with us and needed Cipher's help," Harry improvised. "He can't work his way around a computer and that's why he was pissed."

Liam laughs, relieving his stress, "you two just try to stay out of trouble." The guilty conscience of mine feels like Liam is on to us, given that sentence. He turns around and opens the door to let us in.

Harry and I flash each other a look because we were totally getting into trouble by having just kissed and gone out for lunch together. While we were out, it was almost as if nothing had ever happened. We talked about other things. There were still a lot of questions to be asked, like do we tell the other guys?

"Thank you for lunch," I say to Harry. Liam is already heading back downstairs.

"Thanks for, uh," he starts to chuckle awkwardly.

"Thanks for that too," I pat his shoulder playfully. He looks around us to make sure we're clear and then pulls me into a hug, taking me by surprise.

"Friends tonight?" He quietly asks in my ear.

"Always." I look up at him.

•••

As usual, I spent the night with everyone and waited for Harry to come down. He crept down the stairs, whispering my name into the air.

He sat close to me, more comfortable with that than before. I adjusted my blanket so it covered his lower half too. "How are you doing?" he asks.

"Pretty alright," I smile. My hangover was almost gone.

"No regrets?"

"None. You?"

"No way," he agrees with me. I hold the remote up to guide the TV to our favorite show and as I'm about to press play, he holds my arm down. "Mia, we should probably talk first."

My eyes lace back and forth between him and the tv and I set the remote down with a gentle clink on the table. "What's on your mind?"

"What happens now?" he asks. "With us."

My cheeks puff as I expel air in a sigh, "That's a loaded question." He sees a look of surprise on my face. I stumble over my thoughts until they turn into words, "There's no denying that we've been getting really close these last set of weeks. It shows that we trust each other, a-and... I don't really know. What do you want?"

"Honestly? I'm obsessed with you," he admits, quickly turning his head to the upstairs balcony to make sure nobody is eavesdropping and to hide the grin on his face. Nobody's ever said that to me before. "I just... I have to be with you. I have to try, if you want to try."

"It's not that simple," I groan, throwing my head into the back of the couch. "We aren't normal people. We can't live normal lives." I pick my head up. "This would jeopardize everything, Harry. We can't put each other on a higher pedestal than the rest of the guys if it comes to a life or death situation. I don't want to be the girl who comes in and creates a rift between the four of you."

"So that kiss was just a one time thing?" He asks on the verge of being crushed.

"No! I-I don't want it to be," I quickly recover. "There can be a middle ground, you know. Let's spend some time there. No labels, no expectations."

"I'd like that," he gently smiles. "Alright, back to the show."

I finish resuming our spot in the series and a small wave of confidence washes over me. I turn to look at him and ask, "mind if I scooch in?"

He picks his arm up to let me get closer, wrapping that arm around me as we face the TV. I lean my head into him. Being held by someone is something I haven't felt in a long time, and something I've really missed. With all the stress I've felt in the last month, this is exactly what I've needed.

My hand reaches over my body and onto his, resting on his collarbone right by his neck and on his shoulder. My fingers lightly tap and curl on his skin, a fidget that I often do in this position. I missed earlier, the kiss we secretly shared. One more wouldn't hurt. Sliding my hand up to his face, I turn his head away from the screen and bring mine closer to his. Once more, we kiss.