xvi

"I just have to stop and get some gas," Harry says on the way down from the hill. We were taking his corvette again. It was a perfect day- the sky was blue with the most perfect, picturesque fluffy clouds. It was warm but not hot. The windows were down and making the wind roar.

At the first gas station, he stopped and went out to fill it again, paying in the store. When he came back to shut the car off, he threw a bag onto my lap. Gummy worms.

I laughed a little to myself. By then, he had already closed the door and started to fill up.

When we were on the road again, he was silent, then spoke. "I'm sorry for falling asleep on you last night."

"Don't worry about it," I smile sincerely, "you didn't fall asleep that way. You just moved in your sleep. I don't mind."

"I will say you're a very comfortable pillow," he jokes. "But I won't make it a habit." He reaches his hand out and I realize he's asking for a gummy worm. I take one out of the bag and hand it to him. He takes the worm, clenches it between his teeth, pulling with a winked eye until it snaps, one hand on the wheel and the rest of the worm in the other.

"Are you still up for watching some more tonight?" I ask.

"Sure, since we can't tomorrow night," he agrees.

We kept talking and soon we were at a dry-cleaners. He asked if I wanted to go in but I said I'd wait in the car. He came right out anyway, his suit in a dry-cleaning bag. He put it in the trunk and soon we were off.

"Where's your dress?" He asks.

"It's a store in the mall, next to Nordstrom. My friend works there."

The car was a little quiet and we both didn't like the silence. Harry beat me to the radio, shuffling through channels. He doesn't get apple play or bluetooth.

He drives on the freeway, pushing 85 in the fast lane, tapping to the rhythm with his finger as he grips the steering wheel. I hear him hum the melody just under the beat. He's captivating to watch.

We park in a parking structure and he walks with me through the mall. I wonder how well this gig is gonna pay. It'd be bad for me to blow it on a shopping spree but goodness knows I still want to.

This store was a classic boutique selling the best designer hand-me-down dresses and suits, along with some new ones. It was also a bridal store and half the floor was covered in beautiful white gowns. I bought my prom dress here and really any special occasion dress that I've needed.

"Hey girl!"

"I was hoping you were working!" I sigh a relief as I see my best friend. Her blonde hair is shorter than before. She comes up and hugs me. As she lets go, she eyes Harry. "I'm Ella."

"Nice to meet you," Harry nods and respectfully greets her. "Ciph, I'm gonna look at the suits, okay?"

"Okay," I turn around and send him off.

"I have your dress, come with me," she says cheerfully.

I follow her through the store. She worked here when we were in high school so we'd get a discount for our prom dresses. Now she's worked her way up to be a manager and makes good money while she studies business in college.

She lets me go into the back room and digs through the dresses on hold.

"That blue dress in the window..." I mention.

"Gorgeous, isn't it?" she beams. "It's actually up early for the next season. I've had a few inquiries but I can't sell it for another month or so."

"I may need to come back in a month, then."