Chapter 1

The cover is made by the wonderful brbkellic!! Her Tumblr is streeetyouthrage. Go check her out?
-----------------

"Kellin, no. It's an X-linked disorder, therefore it's only on the X chromosome. Erase the ones beside the Y." My tiny Hispanic attempted to explain biology to me. I shook my head and erased the whole problem.

"I'm fine with failing." I set my pencil down and fumbled with the bracelets covering my wrists. They're more of a distraction the anything.

The lot of them are 'friendship bracelets' Vic and I made back at a church camp some years ago. I can't bring myself to discard the old pieces of leather. They hold more of an emotional value rather than physical.

"You're not leaving me with these fuck tards." He insisted. "There only barely tolerable with you here."

"Yeah yeah. You'll have that Jaime kid." I tease him about this daily. Jaime has had this huge crush on Vic since he moved over here. It's almost embarrassing on my part seeing the kid gawk so much.

"You're funny." He pushed the few notebooks he had into his backpack. He's had the same one since fifth grade: a Vans Off The Wall cat face bag. I've always threatened to steal it from him.

I copied his actions, slinging my plain black bag over my shoulder. The bell rung right on cue. Being in this hell hole for three years kinda sets a mental clock. The only thing I'm thankful for, is that next year is our last year.

"Wanna walk with me?" He asked, shoving his way through the mob of teens.

"Sure." I replied.

We walked through the hall, seeing the same sights as always: straight couples making out; nerds being pushed around; and jocks grouping up to hit on the cheerleaders. Those that weren't being dick wads to their future bosses, that is.

Eventually we shoved our way through the front doors and outside. The hot sun beat down on us. I hate summer. There's only one upside to this whole thing. Summer means we're closer to the end of the school year.

Vic cursed under his breath. "It's hot out here."

"Says the one wearing long sleeves and a good thirty bracelets." I chuckled.

Rarely ever does he wear short sleeves. He should more often. He has biceps from hell. I'd imagine he'd get a girlfriend if he'd show off what he has.

"You're one to talk about bracelets." He laughed.

I wear mine for a damn good reason. I'm not hiding anything- no. Though I'm worried about Vic. He's too closed off from the world to be okay. I'm not going to assume anything until I see it.

"So, you wanna come over?" Vic asked.

It's Friday, and I have nothing better to do. Though my mom did say something about a surprise.

"Mom has something for me, apparently. So I guess not."

Vic's mood visibly fell. I know how much he hates being alone. When I'm not there- that's all he is. Alone. No one should have to be alone.

"I promise I'll walk over as soon as she's done, okay?" I attempted to reassure him.

He put on his fake smile. One that I've come to realize holds more pain than I'll ever fathom. "It's all good."

I smiled half-heartedly and waved, as we split roads. That's the only bad thing about this: we're so close, yet so far.

The only sounds left were my Tom's hitting the pavement with a soft thud, and children playing in their yards with their happy and perfect family. I wonder what it's like. Having a normal childhood, that is. Having both a mother and a father that are happily married. Parents that love one another.

My thoughts were violently erupted by an eerily familiar truck sitting outside. It was a faded blue Ford pick up. The left door always squeaked a bit louder than the right. I'd assume from the use and disuse.

I walked a bit faster, but not towards the front door. I dropped my bag on the ground and quickly scaled the ladder to my tree house. The floorboards groaned under my weight.

Everything was left the way it was the day I stopped coming up here. There wasn't a reason to anymore. I was damn glad.

The splintering walls brought back an old familiar pain. For some god awful reason I thought this was more comforting than my cold and hard home. Well, at the time, anything was better.

"Kellin honey," My mother called from the base of the tree. The call opened my mind more to my past I tried to forget.

"No."

"You have to forget the past." She stated, as if I hadn't tried to. I had it locked away. That is, until now.

I chuckled dryly. "You're asking me to forget what he did." I wiped the tears that had silently fallen. "To forget that you looked away and pretended nothing was wrong?" I began shouting.

"Kell-"

"No!" I screamed and jumped up, heading towards the back door.

I leapt forward and grabbed hold of the rope that I had as a back up plan. A second escape. I didn't mind the burn I had on my hand after I slid down it. That was the least of my worries.

Surprise, my ass. She knew how I felt about my father. She knew what he did. He cheated on her, drunk liquor like it was water, and beat the both of us.

I ran through the woods that had grown thick over the years. Though I had it all mapped out. After running away so often, it was almost like I had programmed the way to Vic's house into my brain.

Why do we run from things we're scared of?