Chapter 14: Prince And Princess

Kassia's sight had been taken from her when the demons came to retrieve her. She had said nothing, done nothing, but allowed them to take her wherever it was they would take her. She'd been terrified to do anything. The demons did not have limbs to grab her, they did not have legs to carry them from place to place. They were dark whispers of death and they glided into the dungeons and stole her away, stole her vision from her, too.

    Jurgen had fought. He'd screamed bloody murder for them to leave her be– banged and pounded and shook at the bars like a caged animal, but all that he accomplished was more of his blood spilled and a faintness that overcame him so he was forced to his knees, an arm wrapped around his torso.

    They whisked her away with only the senses of touch, sound, and smell and she noticed a change in her abilities at the latter. She sniffed inconspicuously at the air around her and smelled the tangy metallic scent of blood as cold death gripped her arms. She did not know where they were taking her, though she knew they guided her down a long, narrow hall in the dungeon. She counted her steps and noted the turns they'd made; two rights and a left. She had been foolish, far too foolish, until this point and she silently vowed to never again be outsmarted.

    Eventually the echoing of her footsteps and malicious whispers of the shadow demons grew lighter and more drawn out and she knew the hall had given way to a large room of stone, though how large she was unsure. The demons threw her to the ground with hate and her iron scaled skirt clinked against the stone floor as she braced herself with her arms.

    "There, demon."

    She heard Ziam say from a raised platform in front of her.

    "There is your proof. She is here and she is alive. I have held up my end of the bargain, now it is time for you to uphold yours. I want Basia safe and I want my freedom."

Kassia blinked and the blanket of darkness that obscured her vision had vanished. As soon as her eyes landed on what sat on the throne in front her, she wished it had not. Duevell's face was wrinkled, his skin the color of blood. Black horns protruded from his head and eyes of pure evil stared back at her.

Duevell smiled a wicked smile that sent shivers down her spine and caused vomit to rise in the back of her throat. His smile reached the corners of his eyes as his cheeks scrunched up and long fangs were revealed, so many of them that Kassia did not know how it was possible for them to all be hidden behind lips. The shape of his face cut in unnatural angles which caused the illusion that he was truly wearing a mask, though Kassia knew he was not.

"All shall be made right." Duevell assured him in a cool voice, his eyes still on Kassia. "Now leave us, shadow lurker."

A look of pure guilt and worry flashed across Ziam's countenance for only a second before he vanished into thin air.

Kassia quickly stood, afraid to be caught in such a vulnerable position. She fisted her hands in an attempt to hide her shaking but to no avail. "What is it you want with me?" She dared bravely, though her voice shook with such ferocity she hardly imagined she sounded anything but terrified.

"There are many things I want from you, enchantress, but there is one thing that I need from you." He rested his arms comfortably on the arm rests of his throne– his throne that she noticed was made of blackened bones.

He wore a slick black suit that looked quite out of place in the dirty throne room they resided in. From the collar, Kassia could see strands of greasy black locks gliding down his neck.

She did not dare another comment. She did not think she could manage one without vomiting.

"Well?" He prompted coldly. "Are you not curious as to what it is I may ask of you?"