Chapter 20: A Brawl For Resolution

The last time Kassia had seen Heidra, her hair had flowed carelessly past her shoulders in voluptuous waves and she'd donned an elegant yet simple brown dress. Now her head was lined with braids that tied off at the nape of her neck, and she wore a leather outfit seemingly fit for combat with a black cloak tied around her. The last time Kassia had seen Heidra was in Nordenbred. But they were in Talla now– a place that humans were supposed to believe unbreachable.

It was no surprise that in response to Heidra's shocking appearance, weapons were drawn. Kassia shot to her feet with as much grace as her injured neck would allow and was immediately pulled back by Jurgen to stand behind him as he raised his sword she'd only just noticed he had. Adem wielded the Ancient weapon in front of him and mimicked Jurgen's actions, pulling Edith behind him, while Ziam took aim with his bow.

"Stay where you are, Heidra." Jurgen commanded. Out of the corner of his mouth, he whispered to Ziam, "How well were these children hidden?"

"Well enough that she should not have been able to find them." He answered calmly.

Jurgen, sensing the danger in the situation, huffed. "Right."

"Reveal your hands slowly." Ziam ordered her.

She slowly drew her hands up from the depths of her cloak and opened her palms to the air in front of her.

"How is it you've come across this land?" He asked, bow still aimed.

Kassia leaned forward to peek over Jurgen's shoulder as she spoke.

"I came through the woods of Nordenbred." She said simply, as if that should have been enough. But it was not enough for any of them to lower their weapons. They all knew of the strangeness that her presence brought.

"You'll excuse our hesitation when I say that you are not meant to know of this land." Ziam continued.

Heidra dropped her hands carelessly as she stated, "Perhaps if I were human, but I'm not. I'm Talatian."

Kassia stepped out from the cover of Jurgen and placed her hand gently on his firm grip on the sword's handle. She pushed down lightly in a request for him to lower the sword and– hesitating slightly– he obeyed. "What is your role in Talla?" She asked curiously.

"That is of no concern to anyone but the Queen in which I serve, which is not you."

"If what you say is true then you won't blame us for killing you because of the threat you pose to our Queen." Ziam remarked.

"I understand your ignorant unwillingness to trust me. I, too, am well aware of the dangers that threaten the royals. That is why I've come back. I wish to determine the cause of the string of murders and stop them before they reach my Queen."

"Which is who?" Adem shot back.

Heidra tilted her head down. "It is none of your concern."

"If you wish to keep your head it is." He retorted, taking an encroaching step towards her.

Heidra only sighed. "I presume you are all collecting thoughts on a plan? Perhaps I could be of assistance. After all, it will not be me alone who ends the threat to Talla."

"Though you think you have everything figured out," Ziam started defensively, "there are things we are currently settling that do not involve you."

She laughed. "I thought you'd be more cunning."

Kassia and Jurgen shared bewildered glances.

"No, the truth is I wish to join you. We shall not waste a minute, so come on then." She turned and began walking.