Chapter 23: A Moment In The Specks of Blue

"Kass, wake up." Jurgen soothed. She opened her eyes to see his green ones sparkling back down at her. It was still dark out though it had felt like she slept through the entire night. "We should go meet the others. I've let you sleep for a long while."

"You've not slept?" She inquired, her voice warming up from sleep.

He only smiled down at her, a smile that spread warmth through her chest. "I'm not entirely fond of seeing what the demons have in store for me in my dreams."

A frown creased her lips. She'd never paid mind to what would ensue from his time in the dungeons. It never occurred to her that someone as strong as Jurgen could feel fear, and her eyes glazed his branded shoulder.

He guided her face up with finger and thumb to look at him. "It shall pass." He assured her. He stood and held out a hand to help her to her feet. She accepted and as he pulled her to stand, he added, "I expect that when the demon is finally ended, it will aid us all."

"I suppose." She agreed, though partially unconvinced. She hoped the closure he sought would cure him completely, though there was only one way to be sure it would; they'd have to wait and see.

"Come. Let's make our way to the castle." He clicked his tongue and Laori bounced along playfully behind them. It seemed the dragon's slumber had caused an overflow of child-like energy and she made a game of nudging Jurgen in the spine to send him stumbling with every other step as they walked along. Kassia snickered as Jurgen struggled to keep his footing from Laori's constant nudges to his back.

"Laori." He scolded as he turned on the dragon in slight annoyance– though with a smile tugging at his lips. His actions only spurred Kassia's giggles on. "Oh, that's humorous, is it?" He turned on her. He scooped her up over his strong shoulder, her giggles turning into surprised shrieks. "Fancy a snack, Laori?" He teased as the creature pranced up next to him. She nudged Kassia's dangling leg in a playful threat.

"Perhaps another time, my beast." He lowered the still laughing Kassia to the ground and brushed a kiss to her forehead. She turned and the sight of the castle blared in front of her. Her jaw dropped at its beauty that only being this close could engender.

They continued towards it and the dirt path soon gave way to cobblestone. They neared the edges of the luminous ponds that Kassia had seen when they were gliding above the land and she halted as the sound of music filled the air.

"Where is that coming from?" She questioned as she studied the plants and flowers encircling the ponds in search of its origin. It was beautiful, the music, and Kassia had never heard of such a symphony. Of course they had experienced their fair share of evening dances in Jekelvek, but even then such music as this was never played.

"I think it emanates from these small, green things." Jurgen voiced as he pointed to the creature he referred to. It was indeed small and green, though their long, pink tongues flicked out of their mouths on the notes of the music and they were strange. Their tongues did not end in one dull tip as any regular tongue did. Instead they peeled off into six dull ends, sprouting out like a flower.

Kassia squinted as she adjusted her eyes on them, studying their details, and realization dawned on her. "Oh, I know what that is called. Basia has told me before, it is called a frog, if I recall correctly. Though I was unaware that they possess singing qualities." She wondered if the music was the cause of their strangely shaped tongues. She turned back to Jurgen and discovered him with one hand raised out in an offering to her while the other rested behind his back.

"Will you dance with me?" He asked her.

While butterflies took flight in Kassia's stomach, she hesitated to accept his offer. "I'm not the most practiced." She admitted shyly. She'd seen Jurgen lead many women into dance at these evening events they underwent in their home fief. The Baron always argued it was for political reasons, that he needed his courtiers to socialize with his citizens, but everyone else knew the truth. It was really Ingrid who favored them. Having no thick spine to stand against her, the Baron allowed her to host extravagant dances with the higher-ups and villagers alike. They were truly a delight to attend and they aided in mending the social gap between rich and poor. Kassia might have enjoyed them more had she not always had to undergo the vicious battle of refusing Ingrid's wish for her to wear a proper gown. She'd attended each one suited in her leather training gear– if not her chainmail dress– and didn't spare a worry about it. Jurgen, however, had always suited up properly for such occasions.