Chapter 25: Playing Bait

Kassia's nose had scrunched at the piece of silky fabric. She'd wanted desperately to refuse his offer and suggest they come up with a better alternative, but that was the only way. There was no better idea. She was to be the distraction and there was no question about it. She had looked to Jurgen upon Ziam's implication and discovered a not-so-enthralled expression on his face as well. She did not need to ask him his opinion. From his expression alone he simply loathed the idea of her acting the part of bait. But once more, there was no alternative. She would have to don the elegant fabric and dangle herself like a piece of meat in front of the monster.

Ziam first instructed her to wash away the dirt and blood that still coated her olive skin in the nearby river that cut through the land. Edith advocated to join her and the two set off to scrub themselves clean.

"It isn't so bad, dressing in gowns." Edith promoted softly as they scrubbed away at all the weeks spent in the dungeons, but Kassia was unsure. When she stripped free of her ironclad skirt and bloodied white shirt and stepped into the aqua colored dress, it was strange. There was no doubt that the silky material was a far more desirable feeling against her legs than the rough edges of her skirt. And when she pulled the dress up to cover her breasts and slipped her arms through the delicate straps, she could not believe the effect it had. She'd never felt so feminine. The dress fit snug over her breasts and around her waist but flowed loosely down to her feet. It was like no dress she'd ever seen before. It did not fit the custom Jek style with long, gaping sleeves and a high-rising neckline. Instead, the straps replacing sleeves draped gracefully off her shoulders and the neckline cut down into a long, open V-shaped slit, revealing collar bones and more.

Aside from its odd style was the peculiar color pallet. Most Jek dresses were monochromatic from toe to top, but this one blended from blue to orange with white fading between the two. It looked to Kassia like a sunset across a vast sparkling lake and she admitted it was quite beautiful. She also noticed an odd vein-like pattern running up the length of the dress, as if fingers of flame were trying to reach the untouched blue.

Kassia and Edith walked back to the others who were waiting patiently for their return, and she focused her energy on minding the long hem of the dress with each stride she took, determined not to trip herself up. When they reached the others, she met each of their gaze. Ziam, who was busy tying Heidra's hands behind the base of a thick oak, looked up with an undetectable expression that faltered slightly as his eyes passed over her. Adem raised a critical eyebrow as he scanned her over with uncertainty. But Jurgen. Jurgen's mouth gaped open as he studied every inch of her new attire. His eyes glazed over with something like awe as he scanned her over, once, twice, a third time. Finally, he schooled his features and crossed his arms. "No." He ordered defiantly. "No, apologies, spy, but we'll need to find some other distraction for the demon. This is not happening." He determined as he waved a hand at Kassia.

She stepped toward him, her eyes filling with understanding. "Jurgen, I know it is not ideal, but it is the only way." She pleaded.

He shook his head defiantly. "No, we cannot send you to that beast like this. And if— when you are threatened, how shall you fight in this?"

"Well, we are not yet finished with her outfit, Commander." Ziam announced as he stepped away from Heidra, satisfied with his knot tying. He moved to Kassia and made a silent request for him to expand on his meaning by allowing his hands to hover around her. When she nodded her permission, he grabbed at the excess piece of fabric at the back of the dress that held the corset portion tight around her waist and ripped it.

"What are you doing?" Kassia exclaimed in shock as he tore the beautiful dress just below her breasts so that her navel was visible.

"I'm making you appear more enticing." He explained simply as he continued to rip out a chunk of the fabric.