Chapter 47: A Wound We Can't Heal.

Three years ago.

Jace's POV.

I don't even know what I'm doing at this point.

I'm supposed to be staying away from her and starting my brand new chapter but here I am, driving her home.

I glance over to her and I catch her hand wiping her cheeks as she stares out the window.

Shit.

"Are you crying? What'd I say?" I ask as I shift my eyes back to the dark road.

"Nothing, I'm not crying, I have something in my eye," her voice is hoarse like she's been crying a while.

"Hey, what'd I say?" I touch her shoulder.

"Nothing, I just realized that our relationship was just so... not meant to be, you know?"

"Yeah. freaky, right?" I tighten my grip on the steeling wheel.

"Hurtful." She says softly.

"Hurtful." I repeat in a whisper.

"Guess you should have this back," her hands reach behind her neck to take off the star necklace I gave her.

"No, Liv, you don't have to-"

"I know but I can't keep it, Jace, it'll never let me let you go," she takes it off and holds it out for me.

I know I have no choice but to take it, so I do.

I stare at it in my hand and I just chuckle to myself before slipping it into my front pocket.

Silence takes over between us, my head is spinning from all the alcohol and drugs but that doesn't seem to stop my heart from hurting so bad.

It hurts so fucking much and I don't know how long I'm going have to feel this way untill it gets better.

"Just promise me you'll be okay," I speak, eyes on the road.

"I'll be okay," her tone cracks.

"Me too," I whisper, staring at the windshield wipers as they swing back and forth.

"What did you like about me?" I ask randomly because I'm drunk and because I really want to know.

"You can really kiss," she laughs through her sobs, her answer makes me clench my jaw and glance out the window.

"I hate that you never even got to know the real me, you just liked the things I made you feel," I say.

"And you just liked my good girl facade," her tone sounds playful.

I turn my head to her and she smiles at me, I smile back, a genuine smile. I gape at her entire face in order to memorize what she looks like because after tonight, I'm probably never gonna see her again.

A car horn drags my attention back to the road, my eyes immediately get blinded by the light ahead, my hands jerk the steeling wheel to the side of the road on instinct, the tires underneath us screech and the car uplifts and flips over on itself three times before finally landing on its roof.

There's a high pitched noise in my ear and my world is spinning way too fast.

I'm upside down and I'm still strapped to my seat.

"Olivia?" I cough out as I flutter my eyes open.

I hear a car taking off, I'm guessing it was the car I almost crashed into.

Olivia is not moving or responding and I'm too weak and confused to reach over the button on my seatbelt and release myself.

I hear a car approach and my guess is the person came back but I'm proven wrong when I hear a familiar voice.