Chapter 8 - Hard Questions

A/N: Hey, everyone! I have returned! I mean, sure, I was only gone a couple days, but it felt like a lifetime. I had to reread what I've already posted because I completely forgot where I'd left off. Luckily I have a million notes already written down to help me keep track of this story's progress. P.S.— Thank you all for sticking with this story! I honestly can't believe how many of you are reading it! I read every review, and deeply appreciate those of you who follow and favorite my story. And even those who don't, I appreciate you, too!

Disclaimer: I don't, never have, and never will own HTTYD. ~sigh~

VALKA'S POV

Toothless and I ended up going outside to check on Hiccup. It had been ten minutes and he still hadn't returned from showing Cloudjumper his new sword. Knowing my son, he was probably talking the Stormcutter's ear off. When he gets excited about something, he tends to ramble on about it for a while. He's the most passionate person I've ever known, even at his young age.

As expected, when we made it out of the tunnel, Hiccup was lying on his stomach on top of Cloud's head. His hands were gesturing all over the place as he told my dragon how he was going to help on missions and that he was going to be the best sword fighter the world has ever seen. Cloudjumper's eyes were closed, and I wondered if he was sleeping.

Toothless ran over to them, placing his front paws on Cloudjumper's neck so he could reach Hiccup, who had stopped talking once he noticed our approach. Cloud's chest rumbled with a sigh, and his eyes blinked open so he could look at Toothless. The Night Fury ignored him, instead nosing at Hiccup's arm with a whine. I rolled my eyes, walking over to pet Cloudjumper.

"Guess what, Cloud? I can hear thought-speak now!" I told him excitedly, which immediately made him perk up in surprise. Hiccup yelped as the dragon's head rose up, trying to reestablish his balance so he didn't fall. Toothless snapped warningly in the general direction of Cloud's face, unhappy with his carelessness. The Stormcutter growled in return. I stepped in between them quickly. "Hey! None of that!" I scolded. Dragons could break into petty fights as easily as vikings sometimes. Best to calm things down before they get out of hand. Hiccup crawled onto Toothless' back, which finally allowed the Night Fury to take a few steps away and relax.

Cloud nudged my shoulder, his eyes round and curious. *You can hear me now?* he asked. His voice was similar to Toothless' in that it wasn't like a human's, but it was still unique.

I grinned, scratching his cheek. "Yes! Oh my gods, this is so amazing! I feel like I'm meeting you all over again!" I gushed. A thought suddenly occurred to me, and I gasped lightly, glancing between him and Toothless. "Wait a second...I gave you guys names! I didn't even ask if you already had one!" I realized, my cheeks turning red with embarrassment.

Hiccup laughed and shook his head. "Dragons don't have names, Mama," He told me.

*I like my name, Valka.* Cloudjumper reassured me. *It's one of the better human practices, I think.* He added.

I bit my lip, turning my attention to Toothless, whose name wasn't exactly the aptest description. "And...you?" I wondered hesitantly. He gave me his signature gummy smile, and I let out a relieved sigh.

The Alpha suddenly let out a thundering roar that the entire nest could hear. It signaled that he was heading out for the final meal of the day, and any dragons that were hungry needed to follow. This time, though, I heard more than just the roar.

*Eat now. Fly together. Calm. Protect.* I jumped at the volume of the unfamiliar voice, and spun around to look at the giant Bewilderbeast, who was already diving into the water.